Sign in to follow this  
TomoHawk

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

My favorite comment so far at a car show was two 240 fans, one of whom said "Those heavy bumpers added an extra thousand pounds to the car!" I didn't have the heart to tell him....

The 240Z had bumpers? ;) I thout it was the old Merc 'led sleds' with the 2,000 bumpers....

Even though my windscreen sunshade has in BIG letters on it, "1978 280Z," people still say, "nice 240" or "nice "ZX" :angry:

Edited by TomoHawk

I LOVE CAR SHOWS!!!!! BUT!!!!! I spend 85% of my time correcting myths, mistold stories, false statements and all around just informing people of what they need to know. So the next time they see another 240Z, they won't look like such an idiot to a possibly not so nice Z car owner.

I've just about heard them all....... Keep in mind that my 240Z is a numbers matching 70'

"I didn't know Toyota made a 240Z?" So I said "Yeah, they started making these after their TANK business went under, Kinda like what Lamborgini did with the whole farm equipment business.".....

"DUDE!!! That would look Awesome with some 22"s on there!!" Yeah, maybe 22" bicycle tires....

"See Son, this is what happens when people have too much time and money on there hands, but KIT Cars are great" I just acted like I was admiring the car, then walk to the next one down the row.

"Look Honey, a Mini 280ZX........." And YUP, she was very Blonde

"These German cars are great little grocery getters"........ At least he got the grocery getter part right, it IS my daily driver.

"I just saw a 4 door one of these last month, funny looking but kinda cool at the same time" I just said "Awesome, that WAS a rare one"

And I'm sure we've all heard something close to .....

"Why'd you swap out the V8 for a slant 6?" Cause it has better torque?

"Swapped the fuel injection for duel webers huh? I have stock S.U.'s

"Aren't these the original S14's (240SX)" I guess they are in a way...

"Where'd ya find Vynal to replace all the stock carpet?" HUH?

And the lists go on....

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Was getting my car inspected at a service station in Austin, Tx. They guy at the counter tried to tell me my car was worth $250,000. He said he used to have a 1971 240 back in the day, but he sold it because the fuel injection kept giving him problems. '71 240z w/ fuel injection? I definitely corrected him.

Whos' to say when "back in the day was". Did he say the had the car in 71 or simply that it WAS a 71 model? It could have been 1975 or later with a 280Z FI engine swapped into a 1971 car, or another powerplant entirely. I guess it's all in how you interpret that one. $250,000...LOL...don't we all wish. :)

Edited by =Enigma=

$250,000...LOL...don't we all wish. :)

Hell no!! Then I'd never get the parts I need, at the price I pay now. But it would make for a nice down payment on something.....

I went to Thoroughbred Nissan in Tucson one day to look at the new ZX and the sales guy tried to tell me that the plastic fan that blows air on the injectors was a turbocharger.

Steve

A short while after I got my car, (2003) I went to the Nissan dealer to get to know the Z tech guy, and one of the salesmen told me that they don't make Zs any more! There's no way I can have a 280Z, because they stopped making them.

week after getting my Z from the States, my neighbour comes to greet me and says: -Nice camaro you got there!

-no sir, its not a camaro, it's Datsun

-you're kidding me, Datsun didn't make any sport cars!

-well im sorry but this is Datsun, believe it or not (at the time i didnt have any emblems installed so there was no visual confirmation) :stupid:

Today I bumped into my neighbor across the street, who owns a '68 Camaro that he bought new and who has lovingly kept it in very nice condition. I had just sold my '66 Mustang, which he found disappointing. I asked him how he liked my 280Z, which was sitting in the driveway. He said it's a nice looking car. He said he had a friend who once owned a 280Z and liked it, adding that he's surprised it hasn't changed any over the years. I replied, "It hasn't?" He said, "No, the new models look just like the old ones from the 70's. Long story short, he thought my car was brand new. (Now you would THINK a guy with a very nice little '68 Camaro would know better!)

Anyway, the original 280Z -- still in production! :)

i realize im quite late to the conversation haha but try owning a 1971 dodge coronet (the year they only made 4 doors)... thats the most frustrating conversation starter ive ever delt with.. "oh nice bonneville!" "thanks its a dodge coronet" "oh cool whats under the hood a 318? " no a 383 "chev?" "no a big block dodge" "no 383s are big block chevs" "no theyre small block stroker chevs that never came factory in anything.. or big block dodges.. b engine to be precise" "no"... every time... one girl said it was a wagon.. i didnt say anything back. then after these rediculous conversations theyre like yeah that things really cool are you gonna restore it? and then i give up (its rather minty concidering its a rust free dodge from 1971 with the original paint in good shape). anyways the z brings lots of confusion but that coronets a whopper when i bring it to auto class...

Doesn't really fall under the heading of 'Weird Myths or Facts about a Z car '.........

Ha, Never too late around here.

I'm in constant conversation with things like.

Fairlady vs. 240Z.

Fuel injection vs. Stock S.U.'s

YES!! This is the stock motor. No it's not a "straight 8" just an inline 6.

When they came out, when they stopped making the S30, the difference between 280Z vs 280ZX, difference in the models, etc, etc.

It's ok though. I LOVE talking about my Z!!

By the way. My car was saved from a Psycotic Ex-wife...... The told me "Look, I'll drop the price if you get it away from my house and my wife TODAY" Aparently, if she got the car in the divorce, she was gonna take it to the range and use it for target practice. She already hit EVERY panel with a Philips head screw driver.

3 times in the roof, from the inside of the car

2 on the hatch

1 on the hood

2 in each fender

1 in each door

and ran the screwdriver up the seam of the hatch and body.

Oh ya, she was a keeper. NOT.

Dave

My friend once took me to the junkyard by his house (about 25-30 miles away) claiming they had "about 8 or 10 Z's" just like mine and that they had not really been picked through! On the way there i was all excited about the possibilities. As it turned out, they were all 280zx's, although there was a 280z 2+2, that he didn't notice LOL.

My other favorites are the people that sell Z's that they have, claiming that they have a V-6 LOL. When i was looking for my Z i also noticed some selling them as a "z240" or "z260"etc...

Edited by Decoy12

Oddly, even used parts suppliers might sell a ____ for a 1982 280Z or somesuch. You would think they would know better, being in the business.

A bit less egregious, I'll often go to the parts store where they actually know me and know my car, and I'll ask them to look up a part for me, reminding them it's a '78 280Z. Half of the time, they'll enter a '78 Cheverolet Camaro Z28. :rolleyes:

The other day a woman my age saw my car and exclaimed, "Cool RX-7!" ;)

Edited by FastWoman

While at a Dairy Queen this summer with my 11 year old son I saw a guy about my age pointing at my car, obviously telling his teenage son something about the car. They approached the car and the two gave it a walk around, the father continuing to point things out. Finally, the two came to me and asked "what year RX-7 is this?"

I told them it was a '72 RX-7.

Last summer I had a guy tell me that the casting lines on my intake manifold were really welds because "just about every one cracked in that way" and had to be welded at some time.

..."Look, I'll drop the price if you get it away from my house and my wife TODAY" Aparently, if she got the car in the divorce, she was gonna take it to the range and use it for target practice...

Someone give this man a Nobel peace prize!

Glad you saved the car from such treatment

She was one mean lady, hense the guy wanting a divorce. Really wish I had kept his info, I'd love to show him the Z now-a-days. If anything, just to let him know that she's a survivor and being treated with the upmost respect and buckets of love.

Even funnier would be for him to take a picture of it with him standing by it, to show his ex, via email or whatever. Think that would set her off?

I think it might. How would I go about contacting or finding info on a Previous Owner?

Seriously, I'd like to know.

Dave

She was one mean lady, hense the guy wanting a divorce. Really wish I had kept his info, I'd love to show him the Z now-a-days. If anything, just to let him know that she's a survivor and being treated with the upmost respect and buckets of love.

Even funnier would be for him to take a picture of it with him standing by it, to show his ex, via email or whatever. Think that would set her off?

I think it might. How would I go about contacting or finding info on a Previous Owner?

Seriously, I'd like to know.

Dave

That's easy now days if you have his full name, depending how common that name is you can get it down quite a bit. Current info is best but old phone numbers and addresses will get you right to him. First place to start is www.whitepages.com since it's free. If you can't find him their you can use one of the paid search sights to find him. Someone I knew tried to skip town, because he owed a lot of money and a little money to me, but what got me chasing him was when he took my chainsaw & equipment (my setup would cost about 3,500 to replace). I found him in Texas two weeks after he left I was at his door with the local sheriff getting my stuff, I had court papers sent to his house about the money, two days after that I had the cash he owed me and $500 extra for my time.

That's the thing, I don't have the original paperwork from 8 years ago. no idea what his name is. Can I look up my Z's past owners at the DMV or something?

Back in 1989 I drove my 260z to a friends house and one of his sisters saw it a said "Look dad bought me a Porsche for christmas!!". "Sorry that car is not a Porsche and it mine not yours".

I have also heard "Nice Mazda". And "no you're car is not a 280z that is a 240z the 280's look way different".

That's the thing, I don't have the original paperwork from 8 years ago. no idea what his name is. Can I look up my Z's past owners at the DMV or something?

Do you have the address he lived at when you bought the car or his phone number back then. You can get his name from that stuff. DMV's are hard to get that information from does Washington have some type of open public records act? That would make it really easy to get the info.