IGNORED

Battery Tray - Not What's Attached To The Car, The Removable One

texasz

Does anyone have pix of the original battery tray? Were they alway the plastic ones with a drain tube like what is available today (like the one Z Car Source sells here: http://www.zcarsource.com/content/p/9/pid/53912/catid/7674)?

I have a series I car which has a metal tray (it "had" some kind of coating, like rubbery plastic or something), it has I believe it's 6 places in the bottom where there are + shaped openings/holes. Was this OE or some aftermarket piece?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth restoring or scrapping, it's VERY rusty and will require a TON of media blasting to clean up then lots of effort filling in all the rust through. When all that's done I could finaly finish it off with POR15.

The new ones are so cheap, I wouldnt bother with restoring the original.

So the metal is the original design. Is that what you are saying? Where are you finding them? I have not seen anyone selling anything other than the plastic ones.

it has I believe it's 6 places in the bottom where there are + shaped openings/holes. Was this OE or some aftermarket piece?

I think (and I'm no expert by any means) the OE ones had a drain hose since if it just had openings in the bottom it wouldn't be solving much of the problem of acid leaking down there.

Does anyone have pix of the original battery tray? Were they alway the plastic ones with a drain tube like what is available today (like the one Z Car Source sells here: http://www.zcarsource.com/content/p/9/pid/53912/catid/7674)?

I have a series I car which has a metal tray (it "had" some kind of coating, like rubbery plastic or something), it has I believe it's 6 places in the bottom where there are + shaped openings/holes. Was this OE or some aftermarket piece?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth restoring or scrapping, it's VERY rusty and will require a TON of media blasting to clean up then lots of effort filling in all the rust through. When all that's done I could finaly finish it off with POR15.

Plastic one is the original. What you have is not original. Sulfric acid kills metal, and that is why it is made of plastic.

MSA has bunch is stock at best rate. There is also a white tube going to drain water to the ground.

Esprist

I'll post a pic of the one I have tonight.

Plastic one is the original. What you have is not original. Sulfric acid kills metal, and that is why it is made of plastic.

MSA has bunch is stock at best rate. There is also a white tube going to drain water to the ground.

Esprist

This is why I was asking, because if the metal was was not even the original then I'd certainly not spend the time restoring it. If it were the original and they are NLA I would.

If you are referring to this http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SEIC04A/12-4271 then MSA is the most expensive I've seen it anywhere. $30 for the tray only!!! :eek:

Black Dragon has a good price on everything except the frame: http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.aspx?Page=117

Banzai Motorworks has the best price for a one stop purchase: http://www.zzxdatsun.com/ and click on Catelog on the left then on Battery in the top center of the screen

Heck, someone on eBay is selling the tray for far less than MSA. Lesson learned, shop around for your parts.

It's good to hear that the battery tray is still available and relatively cheap. I need to put one of those on my list. Originally, the clear plastic drain hose did not extend down below the frame which is why you see so many cars with frame damage in that area.

i just ordered a plastic battery tray from my Nissan dealer for the '74 260 Z i own, and it was $3 or so. i have one on the roadster also, since it was so cheap. the sticker on the part bag had Tray Support BA

Part number :

244428-N3600 this would be for a series 24 Battery.

Well it seems as though the question has been answered...plastic it is and always has been.

Just for the record, since I said I'd post pix of mine here they are. Both of these are after some media blasting on 1/2 of the item (will be very obvious).

i just ordered a plastic battery tray from my Nissan dealer for the '74 260 Z i own, and it was $3 or so. i have one on the roadster also, since it was so cheap. the sticker on the part bag had Tray Support BA

Part number :

244428-N3600 this would be for a series 24 Battery.

I'll have to check out the Nissan dealer and see what they want for one.

post-3356-14150807269228_thumb.jpg

post-3356-14150807269856_thumb.jpg

Edited by texasz