IGNORED

What's a fair price for spark plug replacement

ELI INK

For a 1978 280z?

Apparently the mechanic wants to charge me $110.00 :ogre: for all new spark plugs and labor. Does that sound steep or is that a fair price for the spark plugs required plus labor?

I know I should probably just do it myself but lets just say that's not an option at this point.

-Eli

I don't know about a 280Z, but for a 240Z you can get spark plugs for less than $3 each, so about $18 for 6. Changing spark plugs is about the easiest thing you can do. If his labor rate is about $100/hour it sounds like he is charging you for an hours labor, which seems excessive to me.

-Mike

Hell yeah I just called him, originally he told me that the spark plugs were special spark plugs that were expensive and then when I confronted him over the phone that I had found several for around two bucks that would work he then informed me that he charges a 100.00 and hour which is INSANE to me! Especially when I could have just bought a few tools for that price and done it myself.

Is there anyone that knows what a fair hourly rate is for California and if I should feel justified in asking to only pay for a half an hours work since it probably wont take any time at all???

Well, $100 an hour is actually a pretty stand hourly rate for a mechanic, at least here in Seattle. It shouldn't take more than about 15 mins to change the spark plugs. You can just buy a spark plug socket for a few dollars and do it yourself. Hopefully you at least have a ratchet set to use with it.

-Mike

Even 15 minutes to change plugs is alot on a Z. If you're counting the time to drive the car into the garage, lift the hood, get the socket, gap the plugs, replace the plugs, close the hood, back the car out of the garage, put the socket away and wash your hands...then maybe it's 15 or 20 minutes. ;)

I'd guess I could change all 6 in under 6 minutes. But $100/hour for qualified labor is pretty reasonable here on the East coast. He is full of shite about them being special plugs though, good NGK's are only about $3.

Well the thing is I already gave him the go ahead so now I'm screwed but what burns me up is that he tried to tell me it was because of the plugs and charged me for a full hour when it takes almost no time at all and I could have done this myself for like 20 bucks!

I guess the best thing about living in a rural, sort of poor area, is the mechanics adjust their rates to reflect the wages. Most still charge around $50/hour is my experience. The nearest BMW Motorcycle dealer to me is over 100 miles away in Kelowna, BC and they charge $85/hour, but that is the set rate at all BMW MC dealers/service centers. At least my US dollars are worth around 20%+ so I would actually save some money in BC. Still, the cost is why I'm learning to do everything I can myself, changed out my first tire the other day. All the tire places around here no longer change MC tires. For me I got both the satisfaction of knowing you've saved big bucks and done the work myself. Changing spark plugs on a Z is about as easy as it gets -- buy or borrow the right tools and do it yourself. You'll feel great.

Edited by Go240Zags

Oh my God I'd have gone postal!!!

I really want to learn to work on my own Z and I just need to get the tools to do so but I figured let a professional get her up to par and then do the maintenance and other repairs myself. *#@*$$**&^@^!!!!!!