IGNORED

Tires - what's the general rule????

jtmader

What is the general rule for mounting tires? I know the wheels that require less balancing weights should go on the front (duh!) but should you care about which ones go on the "drivers" side vs "passenger" side? How about the rear?

If they are dynamic balanced, it shouldn't matter. If you only had them static balanced, then start with the lowest weight ones in the front like you mentioned. Otherwise it doesn't matter. If the car is that sensitive, something else is wrong.

My general rule is that stick-on weights are inferior in every measurable way to the hammer on clip weights.

Also, if you have a wheel that has more than 2 ounces of balance weights on either side, ask the shop to try turning the tire 90 degrees on the wheel to try to get the weight down.

When you need large balance weights, either the tire or the wheel has a problem, and usually if it is the tire it will get worse over time. (As the tread wears away the imbalance in the tire's body will become more apparent.)

Regrettably if aligning the tire differently on the wheel does not reduce the imbalance, the only sure way to identify which component (the tire or the wheel) has the problem is to move the tire to a different wheel.

Was that more information than you wanted?

My take after 25 years in tires and wheels.

My general rule is that stick-on weights are inferior in every measurable way to the hammer on clip weights.
Not inferior, just different. Applied correctly to a properly cleaned surface by a technician who knows what he/she is doing, they will do a fine job. Many alloy wheels do not have a lip design that allows the use of clip weights. So you may not have a choice of what type is used.
Also, if you have a wheel that has more than 2 ounces of balance weights on either side, ask the shop to try turning the tire 90 degrees on the wheel to try to get the weight down.
Turn it 180 degrees, not just 90. Chances are that if the assembly needs that much weight you were unlucky and matched the heaviest spots of both tire and wheel together. If so, turning the tire 180 will often make a significant difference.
When you need large balance weights, either the tire or the wheel has a problem, and usually if it is the tire it will get worse over time. (As the tread wears away the imbalance in the tire's body will become more apparent.)
I don't know that I'd call it a problem, but yes, if the tire is the cause it will most generally get worse as it wears.
Regrettably if aligning the tire differently on the wheel does not reduce the imbalance, the only sure way to identify which component (the tire or the wheel) has the problem is to move the tire to a different wheel.
Actually, if you marked the spot that wanted the weight prior to turning the tire, you can get a pretty accurate idea by comparing where the weight is needed after turning, especially if you did the 180 rather than 90. If the weight is still needed in the same general area as before, it is probably the wheel that has a heavy spot. If the need for weight follows the tire, it's the tire.