IGNORED

The next 240Z

Personally, I think this one will fit the bill.

Sure, it's only got three wheels and a jet fighter seating configuration, and most likely almost zero storage space, but...

For those that don't want to go to the page, here are the basics:

0-60, 6 seconds.

100 miles to the gallon (small ICE powers generator. Electric motors propel vehicle)

Top speed over 100 mph.

Priced around $18,000 (hybrid)/$23,000 (all electric-200 mile range)

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6842/

post-11908-14150806982699_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150806982937_thumb.jpg

Personally, I think this one will fit the bill.

Sure, it's only got three wheels and a jet fighter seating configuration, and most likely almost zero storage space, but...

For those that don't want to go to the page, here are the basics:

0-60, 6 seconds.

100 miles to the gallon (small ICE powers generator. Electric motors propel vehicle)

Top speed over 100 mph.

Priced around $18,000 (hybrid)/$23,000 (all electric-200 mile range)

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6842/

Whatever that thing is, it's cool!

Hi Mike:

The rear deck area was so high in Crossfire - that it prevented the seat back from reclining more than just a couple degrees.. If you were willing to crank the nob - the Series I/II seats would lay back.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I believe Mike was referring to the Series I (knob style) will only tilt back and forth by maybe 15 degrees. The later ones with the lever will lay down all the way until it hits the rear shelf.

Let's see:

- Affordable rear wheel drive sports vehicle.

- Plenty of mods available (from light to heavy).

- Solid racetrack presence.

- Iconic looks.

- Sold enough units that it's pervasive (and like the Z, will never be that valuable).

- Resale is cheap enough that high school kids can afford to pick one up cheap and have some fun.

Hate to say it but although we may not love the performance off the dealer's lot, it's the MX-5/Miata.

Another once in a generation affordable sports car.

Not sure what the next one will be.

Somewhere back in about 2002, I became intrigued with the idea of finding a 240-Z again. I had previously owned a '73 for about a year in 1985, replete with vapor lock issues from the flat top carbs. So, in hopes of making a better choice and with the internet as a resource, I found zhome.com. There is a segment on Zhome that touts the desirability of the early VIN cars, as well as the special edition Black Pearl. Over the next year or so I searched for Z's in general, with particular emphasis on those highlighted on zhome.

During that year, I became somewhat frustrated by the lack of good Z candidates and thought maybe I was a bit late to get into that game. I asked myself a similar question to Zedyone's thread starter, and came up with the same answer as bigoak, the Miata. Employing Carl's logic from the zhome articles, I looked for an early VIN or Special Edition car (of which there have been many during the Miata's run). The first special edition Miata was the 1991 British Racing Green with tan leather, and came with a commemorative plaque denoting which number in a run of 4000 each car was. I ended up finding number 2990 in St. George Utah in January 2003. The car had about 42,000 miles on it at the time, and now has just north of 50K.

Within the past week I was looking through Grassroots/Classic Motorsports and they had one of those features titled something like "10 possible future collectibles" or something like that. One of the selections was the first gen. Miata. Well bigoak and GRM, I hope you're right!

Gary S.

Hi Guys:

Please let me know when you can buy an electric sports car that you can jump into and drive from Seattle to Tampa in 48 hours. At that point you'll be driving a hydrogen fuel cell, supported by all filing stations with a gasoline, diesel and hydrogen pump... circa 2075.

I suppose if think of a "sports car" as one you don't want to go much farther than 50 miles at time, or one that can weight over 4,000lbs to carry the batteries... it might work for you.

IMHO - The next affordable "sports car" that will shake the world - will be one that weights less than 2000lbs and is powered by a very small displacement turbo diesel. If China cranks up the baking ovens, they could produce a full carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb Sports/GT that would be a game changer... most likely from VW..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl

Did you forget the 240Z is NOT a sports car but a Personal GT?

Don't forget the Camero was a sedan!

While I can't find fault in what you said-Diesel technology is still new in its development (unlike Gasoline technology) cycle, and a composit based Chinese knock off of the Blue Sports has potential, I still think it will take a green consideration to get there in the current world climate-then again it the Parallel occurred in China instead of the USA, well, you could be exactly right! The USA isn't the largest Market anymore...and the world has changed.

Will

Edited by hls30.com