IGNORED

Knock elimination - Half-Shaft U-Joints

bigoak

Hey Zak, just on more thing. When the shaft is out, hold it firm and move the joint up/down/left/right thru its full range of motion. A very early sign of a bad joint will be a slight catch or bump in the joint in the same spot repeatedly. U joints in my experience don't last long once they start to go. If everthing feel fine you should be OK.

Just one thing more. Be sure to lube them , the factory only lubes the needle bearings to keep them in place while assembly. If you install units with Zerk fittings or the ones that have the removable plugs that a Zerk can be inserted, lube them. You will find that they will take about 4 or 5 pumps from a grease gun to fill the cavity. Just watch the little gasket and stop with the grease at the first sign of any expansion or grease exiting. If you do this they will last for years.

A quick lesson in why it pays to be nice, helpful and active in your local Z club.

Met for a weekly coffee night with some members of the local Z club. Asked if anyone knew a good driveline shop where I could get the half shafts looked after.

Another member says "Hey, I just installed a new set that I had chromed and the ones I took off had just been rebuilt. If you need them, they're yours..."

Followed him to his place and he wouldn't take a dime...even gave me a vacuum advance and a beer.

Life is good. Christmas in May...

I had the same issue, lots of slop on one side. Removing the half shafts is not hard it just takes a bit of patients and maybe time. I had to hit mine with some PB Blaster before the nuts would come off, spray it and leave it sit over night then the next day they will come off easier and without stripping or braking anything. ;)

Brand...you are on the right track, get good quality ones. I went with Spicers from MSA. Pay attention to what you are buying from them since they sell a lesser brand and the Spicers.

I took my half shaft to The Z Clinic and had them put in for something like $50 about 4 years ago. After watching him I think I could probably do it myself next time.

While you are at it you should do both half shafts and the drive shaft couldn't hurt either.