IGNORED

280Z fuel rail

Jeff G 78

I am about to swap from my stock cam to a performance cam and I have a question. In order to pull the cam, I need to move the fuel rail out of the way as it wraps around the head and blocks the cam from sliding out the front of the towers. Since the injector hoses are so short and they are clamped on, I don't see an easy way to get the rail out of the way without disturbing the injectors. Anybody have a trick that will save me time?

Jeff, about the only advice I can give you on this one would be to remove the rail with the injectors connected. You could always remove the entire intake manifold assembly, but then you might need to replace the manifold gasket...

However, if you go the route of removing the injectors from the mani, you could allow yourself on While I'm At It project-replace the EFI fuel lines from the injectors to rail (assuming you haven't done that-there's no telling how old they are)

Edited by zbane
typo

While I replaced the valve springs today, I played with the rail and I *think* I can flex it enough to get the cam out without removing it. As far as the injectors go, everything was new a few years ago. I replaced the injectors and all the hoses, but it's still a major PITA. I should know tomorrow. Today, I pulled the hood, removed the rockers and swapped the valve springs. Tomorrow, I'll swap the cam and install the rockers, pads, radiator, and thermostat. From the looks of it, I'll have to lower the back of the trans a bit to allow the cam to clear the rad support. I have a spare trans mount that I installed new bushing into over winter, so that will be installed as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Chances are good you're already done, but i found the easiest way to get the fuel rails out of the way was to remove all the bolts holding it down, and then cut the hoses that connect the injector to the rail. Its a bit of a PITA to replace them, but I figure its easier than removing the injectors.

Yes, I am done. Luckily, I was just able to snake the cam past the fuel rail bracket without removing the intake-side rail bolts. I just had to remove the two fuel hoses and the bolts at the right and front of the head. It flexed just enough.

I haven't fired it up yet. I need to run to the auto parts store and get oil, coolant and some new fuel hose. The old ones were a bit loose at the rail.