IGNORED

Won't go into 5th...

It sounds like Marty is on the right track. The collar and bearing are pressed together so unless you took the bearing off the 240 collar and pressed it onto the ZX collar you are, as Marty said, using the wrong collar. When you say it's hard to get into reverse do you mean it grinds or is the shift lever hard to move? If you are grinding then your clutch is dragging, possibly due to the wrong collar. Grinding in 5th could be a weak synchro combined with a dragging clutch, or just a bad synchro. Is the lever free to fully engage 5th gear? Are you sure nothing is blocking it's movement? If the lever can't completely engage 5th that can cause a grind too.

Steve

Nothing is blocking the movement of the gear shift. It slips into 5th gear if the engine isn't running, but also pops back out real easily if I spin one of the tires when its in 5th. It goes into reverse without grinding, just kind of takes a bit more effort than it should.

I definitely just used the 240 TO and collar, and didn't press on any different bearing. So it sound like I need to order the correct ZX collar to start.

Isn't the choice of throwout bearing collar a function of the clutch setup? If he didn't change the clutch and pressure plate, why would he have to change the collar? My impression was that the 280 Z pressure plate was a different height on the springs and that is what required a different length collar. The input shafts of both transmissions is the same and the mounting position is the same. Did I miss something stupid?

Nothing is blocking the movement of the gear shift. It slips into 5th gear if the engine isn't running, but also pops back out real easily if I spin one of the tires when its in 5th. It goes into reverse without grinding, just kind of takes a bit more effort than it should.

I definitely just used the 240 TO and collar, and didn't press on any different bearing. So it sound like I need to order the correct ZX collar to start.

Since you are not grinding into reverse your clutch is not dragging so the whole collar issue should be moot.

If you are sure the lever is allowing full engagement into 5th then it sounds like an internal trans problem. Once FULLY engaged it should not pop out.

Steve

Just to close out the thread, I re-installed the 4 speed this morning. The 5 speed is going out to be rebuilt soon. I probably should have had it rebuilt before I installed it this Winter, but I was counting on it being fine. Live and learn.

The 4 speed is smooth as silk, but the car is gonna be limited to side roads until the 5 speed is done. 4 speed, 4.11's and 14" tires, taching at about 3,800 to do 60 mph!

Isn't the choice of throwout bearing collar a function of the clutch setup? If he didn't change the clutch and pressure plate, why would he have to change the collar? My impression was that the 280 Z pressure plate was a different height on the springs and that is what required a different length collar. The input shafts of both transmissions is the same and the mounting position is the same. Did I miss something stupid?

This is correct. The throw-out bearing collar has to match the Pressure Plate used. The throw-out bearing is the same 70-83 non-turbo.

For the most part today - it is almost impossible to find an OEM spec. 240-Z Pressure Plate. The Nissan replacement parts are 280Z/280ZX Pressure Plates - no matter what you order.

FWIW,

Carl B.