IGNORED

BRE Tribute car for sale

=Enigma=

Looking at the photo below vs the photo posted by sblake you can see quite a difference.

Yep, without that number "46" and all the other details that Ron surely dedicated more time than we can imagine getting right, there is no comparison, as a tribute car. To me anyhow. Of course, I am a bit biased toward that number "46". That was the number of our best hitter on our ball team too!

Edit: Sorry guys, I couldn't help myself.:D

Edited by geezer

I am not going to call the text above from the owner a lie, but it is a bit of a strech of the truth...It's a nice car, it looks good, it has a nice paint job, it is not an authentic or correct replica. It is not a representation of a BRE tribute car. It has sat in the showroom at a Nissan dealership because the guy works there....Peter has seen the car, and I am sure was more than happy to take a picture with the owner.

Having just looked at pics of your car in your gallery, I now read this as...

"He worked at the dealership so he got to park his car out front and I didn't! My car is better, his is a phony"

So what part of the Craigslist post is "a stretch"? Are you saying he dosn't have the orig documents? The stock motor wasn't rebuilt? It dosn't have upgraded brakes?

"This 1972 Datsun 240Z was purchased from the orig owner and has ALL orig documents, incl window sticker. It was fully restored by a Nissan Body Shop into the exact style of the famous BRE racing Datsun's of the early 70's. Stock rebuilt engine with rebuilt stock carbs, all interior redone and upgraded brakes. ALL original parts were used and old ones retained.

The car comes with a photo of Mr.Brock standing next to the car and BRE racing banners. It's an instant hit at a show car, especially at Datsun/Nissan events. Car is located in Vista CA, north of San Diego, and shown by appointment.

The car has been on display in the Nissan showroom in Escondido for several months, but is now for private sale.

Asking $19,500 and will consider all serious offer"

Is it worth $19.5k? I dunno, but thats between the seller and the buyer.

Having just looked at pics of your car in your gallery, I now read this as...

"He worked at the dealership so he got to park his car out front and I didn't! My car is better, his is a phony"

If that's all you get from that you need to re read it. I doubt that RC is at all concerned with parking his car at a dealership. Edited by sblake01

Ron,

I thought when you mentioned the tribute scheme that you might be talking about this Interpart package. I don't know if one was available for the Z, but these cosmetic accessories would constitute a "tribute" car.

In the scheme of things, I might comment that your car is far more than a tribute. More like a recreation - far more an "original". Thanks for explaining the tribute documentation from Peter Brock and the BRE trademark.

post-4148-1415080660049_thumb.jpg

Tarmac,

I see that you think my comments are biased, although as far as I know you have not seen this car in question for sale or my car for that matter. Instead you have interpreted my comments that I am "jealous" of this car, and that is just not true.

So let's stick to the facts of the situation, or at least the ones that you can comment on, because if you saw this car in person, you would have to conceed:

1) This BRE replica has not had a "full" restoration. I will defer to anyone on this site that has done a "full" restoration. This car has been freshened up and looks nice, but there is no full restoration here. It's a driver, and it has always been.

2) It is not "the exact style of the famous BRE racing Datsun's of the early 70's" I can line item out the in accuracies of the car, but that is not the point. The easiest ones are that the paint colors are wrong, and the decals/lettering are wrong.

Finally, you are entitled to your opinion, but I must say I don't appreciate comments like this "He worked at the dealership so he got to park his car out front and I didn't! My car is better, his is a phony" and I seriously doubt that you would consider saying that to me in person. This is your assumption, and does not reflect my opinion or view.

I worked very hard, and spent countless hours of research to build my car and I am proud of it. I am always pleased to see when others care so much about such a style that they choose to paint their cars in such a manor. I have been contacted by several people regarding building a BRE #46 replica, some of which from this site and I have always shared what I discovered in my research, and helped them in every way I can.

I don't like anyone marginalizing something of interest to me, or making a claim that is not truthful. Do you?

Ron

Ron,

I thought when you mentioned the tribute scheme that you might be talking about this Interpart package. I don't know if one was available for the Z, but these cosmetic accessories would constitute a "tribute" car.

In the scheme of things, I might comment that your car is far more than a tribute. More like a recreation - far more an "original". Thanks for explaining the tribute documentation from Peter Brock and the BRE trademark.

The Interpart Package, because the design is a BRE design could fall into the tribute clause of the trademark. I would defer to Gayle on the specifics. But that is a very good point. The stripe design on the fender is clearly a BRE design and should fall under their Trademark.

Thanks for your nice comments about my car. unlike Carl's REAL Baja BRE car, my car is a tribute or replica and I have always said that it is just that...Many folks have asked if my car is the real BRE car, it's flattering for people to think that it is. Many have asked why I built the car. the answer is easy..it is because the original was destroyed in 1974 and I did not feel that anyone had done a replica car correctly...It is an Icon to Datsun, and Datsun racing, and needed to be recreated.

I have had this car now for several years. It gets driven very sparingly, as it is not street legal. I find that now I am a caretaker for the car. Fred Jordan, and the staff at the Datsun Heritage Muesum take very good car of my car, and it spends most of it's time there with other iconic cars including Mr. K's 240Z and many other unique and beautiful Datsuns.

Edited by ron carter

I didn't realize "driver" was a dirty word.

I've found this website to be a great place for information, and tips on my 240Z. Carl, Arne, and a bunch of other folks have really helped me out.

The one thing I don't like about it is that when ever somebody post a pic or link of a car for sale folks come out of the woodwork and bash it. The car from Reno we talked about last week is a classic example, maybe he was asking for too much, maybe he wasn't. Now this car shows up, and is it worth $19.5? I dunno, but it looks damm good to me. Maybe if you show up with 16K in cash he'll bite. I DO know that a engine rebuild will cost you $2-3K. Rebuilt carbs $500. The rims and tires will set you back over a grand. A un-cracked dash between $800-1,500, and the paint job on that car (judged by the pics I've seen here) could set you back up to $5,000! Add that to the fact that we have seen stock, un-restored 240Zs selling for OVER $30,000 and asking $19.5K obo doesn't sound insane.

IMO buying a car and not driving it is like marrying a super-model and not sleeping with her.

Tarmac, not trying to take sides, but I have seen both cars and Ron is absolutely correct about the comparison between the two cars. This car doesn't come close to comparing with his in any way.

1. It's a refresh, not a restoration like Ron said.

2. The only thing that is like the original BRE is the paint job. Basically, it's a stock Z with a BRE paint scheme. Ron's is an accurate reproduction of the race car with many, many, many hard to find if not impossible parts.

3. What's it worth. I guess on that account I agree with you, it's between the seller and the buyer, but I don't see anything with people expressing their opinions. Yeah, there's some ego and pride expressed from time to time, but it's in good fun.

I seriously doubt Ron was jealous of this car for a millisecond. Not his style and even if it was, he wouldn't be jealous of this car. As noted, his car is sitting in the DHM now. That's a pretty big honor and also kudos to Ron for sharing his car with the public when he could be enjoying it in his garage!

Just my two cents.

Best,

Bob

Edited by bobc

Bob, nothing to worry about taking sides on. Tarmac seems to be the only one that 'went there'. What gets me is that with very few exceptions, no one has any intention of buying any of the cars that get posted here and then 'bashed' (which I really don't see here in this case). Let it ride. What Ron said was misunderstood, that's all. I doesn't require a debate. After all, the question was simply "Do we know whos car this is?"

"Driver" is absolutely not a dirty word, it is simply more descriptive of a car with some obvious enjoyment(regardless of the paintjob) on it than a exhaustively detailed replica that gets "driven very sparingly", and was built to look as close to a specific car as humanly possible.

A z was made to drive, but Rons car was made for another purpose, to recreate the car that was made to drive because it was destroyed by being driven...Ron painstakingly rebuilt history, for those of us who didn't get to see it before its destruction, the car in question really appears to have been built to capitalize on the BRE trademarks with none of the commitment to detail-that isn't more than a few mils deep. To say that noting the difference between them is nit picking is attempting to give a pretty and somewaht faithful paint job the same value as what Peter Brock did originally and Ron replicated to an unbelievable degree throughout the entire automobile.

Finding a supermodel who is photogenically beautiful is pretty easy, finding one who is an exceptional person as well...that is as rare as a truly faithful BRE tribute car-regardless of the fact that the first one approved was!

Will