IGNORED

Ball Joint Differences?

austex

Hey everybody, I recently got a couple of new ball joints to replace the ancient ones in my '74 260. I ordered the sealed, pre-lubed ones from RockAuto, without realizing that the ones on the car look exactly like these, whereas what I got is what you see in the picture.

Will the ones that I got work, or did I make a boneheaded purchase? I realize the difference between them is that one you can lube yourself and the other has "lifetime" lubrication, but it looks like the ones I got wouldn't fit right. I just want to know 100% whether these will work before I tear out the old ones.

Stupid question, I know. But thanks in advance for any input! :)

2cncdgh.jpg

That is odd. No castle nut??? I'd rather be able to grease them myself through a zerk but thats just me. I don't know man. I put all factory Nissan ones in mine. I've heard too many horror stories of fitting issues on aftermarket ball joints on these cars. Looks like they may work ok. I guess all you can do is try them. Hopefully someone here has tried them and can tell you for sure before you tear everything apart.

I have never lubed a ball joint in a car in my life.Just my four Wheeler.That is not a good thing but it is the truth.I mean brand new i would say they will last just as long as the ones you can lube.

It's one of those types of things again that comes down to personal preference. What you say is probably true but I just personally feel better about being able to physically maintain it myself. Thats just me :)

Thanks, ezzzzzzz! I guess the sealed ones are okay, then. Just looked kinda funky at first glance.

And yeah, I do personally prefer being able to lube them, but it's just personal preference obviously.

Hey, just thought I'd post an update. I installed those ball joints today and they fit just fine! No drama at all. They're the Spicer/Raybestos brand and I got them for $32.99 each at RockAuto.

I am glad this worked out for you. I do have a question though. How often do you change the oil and filter. And do you lube the steering rack and tie rod ends? I have always just made it part of changing the oil , I just do the ball joints and tie rods and steering rack. As for the U-joints someone said no one lubes them, these should go about 20k miles between lubrication. As long as you don't blow out the little seals when applying the grease. If this happens then lube them every other oil change. Generally I am under the car from time to time and I lube the U-joints every couple of years. I have always attended to the lubrication like this since I have been driving my own cars, 54 years, and I have never had to replace a tie rod end or ball joint. I changed all the u-joints on my Z 9 years ago, when I bought it. Keep the stuff lubed and it will last years.

Hey, beandip! My motto is "when in doubt, lubricate!" As for the old ball joints in my car, those things were ancient (I've had the car for about a year now). My auto tech instructor said that they looked like the originals. That wouldn't surprise me, considering they did look about 30 years old...

But yeah, I do agree with you and others who stress the importance of lubrication.

I am glad this worked out for you. I do have a question though. How often do you change the oil and filter. And do you lube the steering rack and tie rod ends? I have always just made it part of changing the oil , I just do the ball joints and tie rods and steering rack. As for the U-joints someone said no one lubes them, these should go about 20k miles between lubrication. As long as you don't blow out the little seals when applying the grease. If this happens then lube them every other oil change. Generally I am under the car from time to time and I lube the U-joints every couple of years. I have always attended to the lubrication like this since I have been driving my own cars, 54 years, and I have never had to replace a tie rod end or ball joint. I changed all the u-joints on my Z 9 years ago, when I bought it. Keep the stuff lubed and it will last years.

I'm the same way :D I think the reason why my ball joints & tie rod ends went south is due to lack of greasing from the previous owner bringing it to Jiffy Lube for it's oil change. Back when I bought mine I found a Jiffy Lube tag in the center console showing the Next Oil change due so that kinda answers that LOL