IGNORED

Rear Hatch Louvers

mtndude

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I too am trying to track down louvers for my 72 240z 

I want the ones with no drilling required, and lift for easy rear window cleaning. Anyone have one they want to part with or know where I can find this type new? Help! 

Big thanks! 

K

the lil z lady

Kirak:

I had the type of louvers that you are looking for and I was disappointed with how it mounts onto the hatch and so I got rid of mine about two years ago.  They pop up every now & then for around $150 on this site and/or ebay.  Just be forewarned that the mounts need to slip under the rear hatch window seal, It didn't look like it would be very water tight.  Also, louvers will always rattle. 

IMG_0589.JPG

• Like 1

i pulled a set like that off my 280 and can attest to the following issues: 

• distorted rubber seal = leaks (had to fill w/silicone)
  • popped up/damaged the sst trim insets
  • scratched up the hatch glass at the mounting points
  • rattled incessantly

not saying louvers in general are a bad idea, just be careful how you go about it. i've found i don't miss them at all from a glare standpoint and the car looks cleaner w/out them imho.

• Like 2

Good information all! What about the fiberglass ones? Anyone tried those? Seems like that would at least solve the rattle problem.

The other issues above are a real concern, however, I live in Vegas, and the sun damage to the interior... Already very dry and brittle. Plus just keeping the car cooler and more comfortable to drive. I'm not sure what is worse... 

Any thoughts on the Fiberglass, besides that it's not as sleek looking? 

K

Thanks to all for your help, I am posting this for others who are looking for louvers. I hope my research is helpful! I have watched for used louvers for about 3 months, and they are either in poor shape, missing hardware or are the drill and mount kind. (A big no no for my z ^_^) Ladyly, are too difficult or expensive to ship. 

So after research and recommeds, I am going with the Astra Hammond Aluminum louvers. They meet almost all of my criteria ( none seemed to meet all) 

My criteria:

1) Ease of install, all hardware included -Met

2) no drilling ( slips under the weather strip) - Met

3) aluminum for no warp instead of fiberglass.- Met ( they offer both) 

4) Ability to lift and clean rear window easily. - Not quite met, but close (They must be unscrewed with 2 thumb screws and lifted. (Hinges at the top)  takes just a Met

Hope this research helps others!

K

The lil z lady :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KiraK

On March 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Travel'n Man said:

I have also been thinking about buying a rear window louver. I know MSA sells them (be sure to tell them you are a member of this site and recieve a 10% discount of all your orders - you do need to know your CZCC account number). Does anybody have any pictures they can post. I have searched and did not come up with much info at all. I know there are two different types metal and plastic and my choice would be the metal. The price at MSA is $264.95 and a discount for club members at $238.46 - being a CZCC member does have its rewards, (are you a supporting member - another reason to be one, right?) freight to my area is $28.00 and it is a two piece put together unit. The MSA is attached with metal tabs not screwed into your hatch, and they told me it takes 10 minutes to remove it for cleaning if needed.

That is all I know but would like to see some detailed pictures if anybody has made the purchase recently from MSA.

Thanks in advance!

Hey traveling man! How do I find the discount number for CCZC? Lmk, I just purchased louvers from the z store, but haven't concluded shipping! Your assistance ASAP is much appreciated !

K

The lil z lady :) 

17 hours ago, KiraK said:

Hey traveling man! How do I find the discount number for CCZC? Lmk, I just purchased louvers from the z store, but haven't concluded shipping! Your assistance ASAP is much appreciated !

K

The lil z lady :) 

Click on your user profile and look in the address bar - you will find a series of 5 numbers - I believe that is your membership ID - give that to the Z Store for your discount requeset - most items they discount for members

• Like 1