IGNORED

Shortage of HP tires grrrrrrr

Caen Fred

I am looking for 225x60r14 tires... nowhere to find them !

I have 7.5 Watanabe wheels that I WANT to keep.

Today I have Kenda 205x65r14 not bad at all, yet the car was way better on the previous Yoko.

The only choice left is 225x50r14 - I am sure it will work but won't it look silly?

I'd recommend AVON CR6ZZ in 185/70R-14. Basically a road-legal ( 'E' marked ) historic tarmac rally tyre, and absolutely superb on the road.

They'll stretch onto your 7.5j wheels OK, and won't look silly. You'd be surprised. Bit expensive though..........

I'd recommend AVON CR6ZZ in 185/70R-14. Basically a road-legal ( 'E' marked ) historic tarmac rally tyre, and absolutely superb on the road.

They'll stretch onto your 7.5j wheels OK, and won't look silly. You'd be surprised. Bit expensive though..........

The approved rim widths for a 185/70R14 tire are 4.5" - 6" Those are really narrow for a 7.5" rim!

The approved rim widths for a 185/70R14 tire are 4.5" - 6" Those are really narrow for a 7.5" rim!

Yes, I agree ( of course ). I'm not advocating the fashion of 'stretch', but needs must, as the saying goes....... And to be honest this amount of 'stretch', and with these particular tyres, is not really as extreme as you can see on a lot of modified cars in Europe these days.

Take a look at the photo I posted. Do those tyres look stretched to the extreme - or indeed dangerous - to you? The rim widths there are 9.5j and 11j, and the tyres fitted are not as wide as the 'approved' sizes......

Fred, I told you they were a bit expensive! But with tyres you get what you pay for. They are one of the most important components of your car, and it is not worth cutting corners as far as quality is concerned. You might be able to find a Chinese tyre in the 'right' size, but most of them are absolute junk and there's a point of view that they are downright dangerous in their low levels of performance.

Japan has a much better choice of tyres for this kind of wheel on this kind of car. Some of the Japanese Dunlops are superb, but they are often not 'E' marked, and therefore are technically illegal to use on European roads. You can use them of course, but vehicle inspectors and insurance assessors are starting to take notice of this kind of thing lately, and it's a good excuse for them to avoid a payout..........

Until now I used road tyres only to set-up the basics of the car.

Today, I am in the final stage of tuning my engine.

I think I still have 30 hp to gain in the head/FI/timing set-up but it will not make over 200 WHP

From this point good tyres will be a major component. I will fine tune the chassis around it! I want a tyre that will sell for a long time... and coherent with our European driving habits... You've been to France, you know our back roads ;)

The big improvement with the 225x60 for me was in braking. But if the compound is better (more grip) it may (will) compensate for the smaller width? Idem for traction? As a bonus less tracking on bumpy roads :rolleyes:

I have found that wide 14" tires are very very hard to come across. I needed a set for my 1940 pont. in my sig. After alot of hunting and homework I found Coker Tires http://www.cokertire.com/

But their prices are REAL high. Other then that I didnt have any luck. Then one of the guys at our shop said he was getting his from Cooper Tires. http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx . Now I see they dont make them anymore eather.

It's looking more and more like 15" wheels are going to be the way you need to go. Unless your rich that is..........

Have things changed in the past year? I found 225/60R14 in Yokohoma AVID S/T just a year ago.

Thanks for the input.

Bit I dad some for 2 month... sold them to a budy... for his truck! I was not impressed at all, the Yoko AVS where so good :cry:

The Kenda are a lot better than the AVID and far less than the old AVS