IGNORED

Good history vid

carguyinok

Ah, the Katayama "...personally chiselled them off....." Fairlady emblem story, and the Johnnie Gable "..... I was there when they were designing it....." Katayama & 'Pinin' Farina story.

Aaaaaaaaargh :ogre:

.......and the Johnnie Gable "..... I was there when they were designing it story.

Aaaaaaaaargh :ogre:

That part may be true although she didn't say where 'there' was. Edited by sblake01

Hey, that's really creative! You should be in the business of making films about the "Dartsun Zee Car" for the Schmistory Channel.

That part may be true although she didn't say where 'there' was.

Oh I'm sure Ms. Gable was present when 'Pinin' Farina and Katayama were talking about the S30-series Z, but - let's make no mistake about this - the shape of the car was the work of Yoshihiko Matsuo and his team in Japan. It didn't come out of Katayama's office, and Pininfarina had nothing to do with it ( apart, of course, from being one of Matsuo and his team's many subliminal influences and inspirations ).

If she's referring specifically to the front-end treatment of the 240ZG model ( and the parts therein ) and therefore after the basic S30-series front end had been penned and produced, then that would be erroneous too. Matsuo himself penned the design of the ZG front end - initially in response to requests from Nissan's race department - due to the necessity of homologating such a model. It had nothing to do with Katayama, or Pininfarina. I've talked with Matsuo at length about this, so I have it from a good source.

With all due respect to Ms Gable, I think she is misunderstanding the significance of what she witnessed. I can't recall where I heard it, but I remember hearing ( and being very surprised ) that Ms. Gable had absolutely no idea whom Yoshihiko Matsuo was until at least the 1990s, and that she originally believed Katayama had "designed the 240Z"...........

Lets not forget the fact that at his induction onto then Automotive Hall of Fame, Mr. K securely and publicly tagged Matsuo as the designer of the Z. It stands to reason that two great designers could come up with similar front end treatments to the same car separately.

WIll