IGNORED

1973 Front Bumper Packing/Filler Left Side

ConchZ

Hi all,

As I get closer to putting my car back together, I'm balking at putting certain old parts back on it. The bumper fillers on the front bumper, for example. They are intact, but faded and scuffed. Some people call these bumper packing. They go between the bumper and body, behind the front bumper, on the ends of the bumper. Its a 1973, which has unique bumper fillers on the front.

MSA and BD sell the right one, but not the left one. The left one is the worst one, and its the side I'm going to see most often. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do? Will it look ok without these parts (I don't think it will)? Can you somehow refresh the parts? They have a metal inner frame, with molded hard rubber surrounding that frame.

Thanks.

Matt,

I don't think you'd like the look without the packing, as it would leave a pretty noticable gap. I've seen these parts come up on ebay every now and again, and they are pretty reasonable for a decent one. Alternatively, you could try some flexible filler and/or paint if you don't want to wait to find another part. I was going to do this route myself, but in the end decided to convert to an earlier bumper :)

Cheers,

Doug

Just a thought here. I dont know about the end caps. But for the filler along the top side you could make your own. Ask around and find a place that can get you a sheet of bulk black plastic. We order ours from a hardware store here in 4X8 sheets. Take some cardboard and cut that so it fits the way you would like. Trace that on the plastic and cut it out.

Keep in mind you can use a heat gun and make bends and roll edge work. I dont have any photos but I have done it & it looks great. You can also use plastic weld and get mounting tabs along the back side if needed.

Edited by carguyinok

Over here it is a "forget to find one part" i'm planning on swapping to the early brackets, why don't you do the same, you might be lucky that Dave (zsondabrain) still have a new set for sale.

Chris

Over here it is a "forget to find one part" i'm planning on swapping to the early brackets, why don't you do the same, you might be lucky that Dave (zsondabrain) still have a new set for sale.

Chris

I've been told that the 73 front bumper is not the same shape as the earlier bumper. It looks the same, but its off enough that it won't look right with the earlier brackets. Has anyone used the early brackets with a 73 bumper?

Matt,

You are correct, the bumpers are a different shape - and the overriders are in different positions. Also, the bumper brackets and mounts are different (there was another recent thread about this). Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a good way to use a '73 bumper in a similar fashion to an earlier bumper. If I find a good set of bumper packing pieces on ebay or somewhere, I'll let you know!

P.S. if anyone has a decent set of '72 or earlier front bumper overiders, I am in desparate need of a pair!

I'm glad this thread came up because I had some of the very same questions since I am selling a 73 bumper. I have a 73 bumper that I decided to paint instead of rechrome. I laid it next to my 71 bumper and there is a significant difference in the shape. I didn't even know about the side fillers, but I did get a really nice top filler panel with the bumper. I could see where it would be difficult to use a 73 on any other car. I'll try to remember to post some pics of the differences between the 2 bumpers

Steve, please do post those photos, when i look at my bumper, it looks as it will fit if the brackets are shortened / swapped, i do not have overrides on mine, if that makes a difference, still i can't see why it won't fit.

Chris

I converted my with early brackets and bumper. '73 is an oddball bumper as are the fillers. Too bad, I had perfect rt. and lft. fillers I just sold for $75 with a perfect center piece.

DK

You tease. :D

My center and right ones are fine, but I'd like to get a new left filler. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll keep watching and checking around. Meanwhile, here's a pic of the car in its sealer coat. Color should go on next week.

post-17507-14150806284067_thumb.jpg

I believe the ends of the 73 bumper will make contact with the body if you try to mount it with the earlier brackets. My fillers are kind of mushed, hardened and in need of replacement as well. I'm undecided on switching to the earlier bumper because I'm trying to keep the original look of the 73 profile and not follow the pack. That decision is made harder every time see the freshly triple chromed early bumper sitting in the garage. :)