IGNORED

Front end 'spook' options..

Zedyone_kenobi

Just measured. Mine if taken form end to end is 39"

I feel like a dope...

Wasted 125 dollars on the part, and 250 dollars in paint.

Nope, you're not a dope. I can't type.

Mine measures exactly 39", not the 38" I posted earlier. Sorry about that.

I cant tell by your picture Carl, does your center valance have nuts welded to the ends.... going to measure mine now.

No - captive nut - actually welded on - is in the center only. Open holes on the ends.. that is why you needed the nuts with the clips to hold them in place for the four holes {two on each end} in the end - where they mate up with the end pieces...

FWIW,

Carl B

Well, now thats strange.

Mine is definitely 39" across, but when I bolt it up looks bent and distorted.

I have welded nuts on the end of my center valance. Not captive nuts. My center is welded on as well. Let me remeasure just to be sure... You can see from the picture its just not going to fit.

Your center valance looks like it is mounted way too high in the middle. Can you post a picture of the center mounting bracket and the center bracket on the valance? Maybe the mounting bracket was bent out of the way to mount the old spoiler?

CArl, if you look at the three attachment points on the inside of the center valance in your picture. How far from the flat surface is the welded nut?

I am now wondering if the height of my attachments is different. I can get it bolted on now, after losening up all the points and doing some wiggling. When I do not attach the three inside attach points, the thing looks perfect. When I attach them, it gets all bow'ey.

I am going to tackle it again tomorrow! :) Cheers.

THanks for everybodies help.

Your center valance looks like it is mounted way too high in the middle. Can you post a picture of the center mounting bracket and the center bracket on the valance? Maybe the mounting bracket was bent out of the way to mount the old spoiler?

You know I was thinking the exact same thing. When I attach the sides it hangs about perfect, but when I try to secure the center bolt, it gets all screwy.

So either one of two things happened. My center support is too short. Or, my center mount is up too high.

I checked my center bolt height off the inner surface of the valance. Its about an inch.

So one would conclude that my center support has somehow been moved up. However, and this is where it gets interesting. The little bracket that is on the front of the center support holds the grill in perfect alignment.

So how can that be in perfect alignment if the bracket has been moved up an inch. Its a puzzler.

Now one thing I noticed is that the bracket on the center support has two welded nuts to it. Mine uses the bottom nut. I wonder if I were to 'adjust' the center support down an inch if I could use the top hole and still maintain the grills alignment.

This is getting to complicated... we need pics!!!

3515548648_f9516b5e7d_b.jpg

This picture shows the bracket that holds the grill clearly. That hole on top could be used if my center support was moved down a tad.

3514739327_58fef833ea_b.jpg

This is currently what the center valance looks like now. Its actually not bad right now, but the center bolt in the valance is about an inch down from the hole in the center support... perplexing isnt it! :stupid:

3514739419_a6d18f5f7e_b.jpg

For the life of me, this looks right. I may have to fabricate some sheet metal to make a bracket that goes from the center support to the valance. This car may have more of a history than I was told by the PO.

I really LOVE project cars, this is part of the fun.

OH, and if I have not said it. Thanks to everybody for your help and advice on this. THe true measure of a forums worth is in its members, and this forum is one of the best on the net.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Hi Stephen, Just a word of warning. If your car is lowered at all it may scrape and bend the spook when coming down off those ramps. Before I put my spook on I had driven on to the ramps, but when I was done (I used the three threaded holes in the cross member and drilled some in the corner valences, by the way)

As I was coming down the ramps my wife yelled at me that the spook wouldn't clear. (I have Eibach springs and have a hard time fitting a jack under the spook...I have to approach from the side between the spook and the front tire.) I ended up jacking the front up and using jackstands to pull the ramps out. Just thought I would add my 2cents. And just wait until you forget how low it is and whack a parking curb...heart stop! Bottom line is that the spook really works especially in a cross wind and above 70mph. You can feel the steering stay "normal" instead of getting real light. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Cheers, Mike

I'm 99% sure that i have the grill mounted in the upper hole on my car, i'm not close to the car at the moment so i can't have a look.

Chris

I agree. I just checked two of my cars and they both have the grill mounted in the upper hole. There is a nut welded on the back of the upper hole, but not on the lower hole. What does yours look like Zed?

-Mike