IGNORED

240Z with vinyl top

rdefabri

I've seen a few Z's with them. However, in this case "rare" does not equal "good". I don't see that listed in the 1972 dealer accessory brochure I have though, so think it was something a particular Datsun dealer decided to do on their own rather than being promoted by the factory as a dealer add on. My dad had a 1972 Pontiac Gran Prix that was orange with a white vinyl roof on it. Very ugly and very 1970's.

I would personally stay away from any car with one, because I'm sure they harbor rust underneath, in addtion to being ugly as sin.

-Mike

They are listed on the very last page of the microfiche along with the installation kit. PN 04160-00003 which was superceded by PN 04160-00016 and is referred to as "Leather Top" and was offered only in black that I can see. The installation items included a wooden knife, moulding, cut knife, bond(contact cement), cleaner and something that has me confused called "past (aron alfer)". Any idea what that is? The racing stripes are listed on this same page.

Go thru the album and you'll see all the bubbling and peeling on the white vinyl. The firewall was Undercoated, No belt on the A/C pump, overspray from the repaint, no taillight cover or left quarter plastic, etc, etc.

I had considered a Black Targa Style top for the 260Z because of the dented.rusty top. The style I was looking for is the 1/8" foam under black fabric (limo style) with either a chrome or black strip to end off the edges.

I doubt I'll do it though, probably do a reroof like Arne did.

Dave

They are listed on the very last page of the microfiche along with the installation kit. PN 04160-00003 which was superceded by PN 04160-00016 and is referred to as "Leather Top" and was offered only in black that I can see.

Interesting. I wonder if this was added as a dealer option later then, since the microfische includes the 280z, so it is from the late 1970's or early 1980's? I'll have to check my hard copy parts catalogs tonight to see if it is listed in any of them. I'll take another look at the accessory brochure too, since I was just going from memory, but didn't think it was in there.

-Mike

Interesting. I wonder if this was added as a dealer option later then, since the microfische includes the 280z, so it is from the late 1970's or early 1980's? I'll have to check my hard copy parts catalogs tonight to see if it is listed in any of them. I'll take another look at the accessory brochure too, since I was just going from memory, but didn't think it was in there.

-Mike

I have the latest revision of the microfiche (Dec '79). There are no "applied dates" associated with the original part number or the supercession. Also, there is not any material included to allow covering the hatch. I would guess that the vinyl roof on this car is aftermarket, even if it was dealer installed.

The installation items included a wooden knife, moulding, cut knife, bond(contact cement), cleaner and something that has me confused called "past (aron alfer)". Any idea what that is?

Maybe you ment to say aron alpha? Take a look at this site... It's an adhesive.

http://www.aronalpha.com/

toalogo3.gif

header_right.gif

Edited by Garagegoon

Maybe you ment to say aron alpha? Take a look at this site... It's an adhesive.

Nice detective work! That has to be what they are referring too. I tried taking a pic in the dark of the microfiche. I need practice or something.:ermm:

Vinly tops were quite common in 70-73 on the 240-Z's. Most were applied by local Vinyl Top Speciality companies that the Dealers worked with. The same companies also installed the Vinyl Side Moldings on aluminum frames, pop riveted to the car. While the side moldings detracted from the looks - they were pretty effective in protecting the sides of these cars. Also pretty easy to eliminate if you wish.

I've removed several vinyl tops from these cars - have yet to find any significant rust damage. Mostly 30+ year old vinyl drying out and cracking, peeling up as the glue finally lets go. You don't see many today because most have been removed by now.

According to the owner, the car was repainted about ten years ago. Red fades... so a re-spray after 20 or so years in California makes sense to me. One owner with a known history, mostly rust free California car. A car that an uncounted number of previous owners haven't screwed up.

I'll always be glad to pay a few thousand extra to start a restoration / refresh with a car like this. It would be a pleasure to take apart.

Like any 240Z, you would have to inspect it in person. Check to see how much undercoating is on the firewall, and how bad a mess it might be under the car etc etc etc - but $6,500.00 seems cheap to me for a good Series I example today.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Like any 240Z, you would have to inspect it in person. Check to see how much undercoating is on the firewall, and how bad a mess it might be under the car etc etc etc - but $6,500.00 seems cheap to me for a good Series I example today.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Agreed - if it's a one owner car (which was stated in the ad, but the claimed # of years owned didn't match up), you have a good basis point.

Assuming it's not rusted underneath, then you surely have to budget for another repaint. Can't believe that the customer repaint either a) matches the OEM and/or B) hasn't faded again - not to mention if the adhesive doesn't come off easy.

Also, should point out that this is priced at $6,250 obo. California car, not a bad deal at least from the pics. Note - there's also a Picasa page with pics of the undercarriage and the battery tray, etc. Some peeling on the vinyl roof, but the car looks pretty good.

Edited by rdefabri