IGNORED

Removing throttle linkage fromn engine

TomoHawk

• 8 years later...

It's been over 7 years since this questions was asked, but it is as relevant back then as it is right now for me :) There are those rings on the throttle tension rod that prevent it form sliding in and out of the standoffs that hold the throttle rod. The rings are held in place on the rod via small screws. Undoing those screws, however, still does not allow me to pull the rod as the rings are still stopping it. It appears as if I have to bent them out of shape to remove them form the rod. IS that really the process? Thanks in advance guys!

Zed Head, close, but if you would include the rest of the linkage image it would show my issue. I already removed the part that you have shown. Take a look at the attached picture. It's the two "ring" that are circled and pointed at with an arrow. As you can see unless I can remove them, that part of the throttle rod cannot come out out of the stand offs.

2017-02-10_13-20-51.png

I see now.  Went out and looked at some of my spare parts also.  I'm 99.9% sure that the rod slides through those rings.  No need to bend them open, they're just there as stops/locators for the rod.  There's probably corrosion underneath, just like on the exposed surface of the rod,keeping them stuck in place.  If I were removing it, I'd spray it with WD-40 and shine up the rest of the rod a bit with Scotchbrite,then tap it through the standoffs and the two retaining rings.  If you're restoring it for appearance sake then your dilemma is removing the corrosion without marking up the rod.  

You might also stick a flat bladed screwdriver in to the gap and open them up just slightly, within the elastic limits of the metal.  The rod will probably slide easily through them then.  I'm sure it's meant to slide through though.

I haven't done it myself, but I second Zed's assessment. Once you loosen the screws, the collars should slide along the rod.

Does the screw thread into the collar itself, or is the hole in the collar a through hole and the screw threads into the throttle rod? I ask because if the screw is threaded into the collar and the tip of the screw presses against the rod when tight, it may have kicked up a burr where the screw tip deformed the rod.

• Like 1

Yeah, then there might be a burr on the shaft as well that might complicate matters. Let's hope they put a flat spot on the shaft where the setscrew contacts to account for that.

Pet peeve of mine - Setscrews directly on shafts with no provision for dealing with the burr...  :finger:  Hopefully they didn't do that.

Wait a minute... I just took a quick look at mine, and the screw goes all the way through. So if the collar is threaded on the FAR side, then there shouldn't be any burrs. It just passes through a hole in the rod and picks up the threads on the far side.

And the collar is split. I can't believe you can't just tap that thing off. Famous last words from someone who hasn't tried, right?  :)