IGNORED

Fiberglass bonnets being made

Adzmax

Hey all, looks like this thead has been busy. I'm at work at the moment and it's been a bit flat out so I'll sit down at home this weekend and work out what I need to talk to them about.

I'll ask about -

Carbon parts and cost

Gaurds and cost

Flares and other bits

If I borrow any parts to get them moulded I can assure you I'll get them done ASAP so you're not mucked around :) I can't vouch for the guys who do the work but they seem pretty on the ball so I'll get back to you all shortly.

As for the mould and body kit parts, we'll need either the moulds - yes, or the parts to make new moulds.

I spoke with the engineer who's doing my car today and he mentioned a couple of things i would have to address before he would pass a carbon bonnet and guards on the vert. Bare in mind this is for NSW only.

The bonnet would have to have reinforcing around the mounting points and would have to have two split pins along the front, the standard clip wouldn't suffice. The split pins would also have to be recessed below the line of the bonnet as well. With the guards he saw no problem.

This only applies to cars pre 1988 after that different rules apply which I didn't bother asking about.

Adz's can you ask them about making some extra recessed mounting points along the front of the bonnet.

Noodle, it's easy to paint fibreglass you just need to key up the surface and away you go, no etch priming. What's difficult with fibreglass is that to get the panels looking straight it takes a lot more effort than steel and over time they will warp and distort leaving you with a wavy, rippled reflection in them.

I think it was the same for both. Did the RTA say that the bonnet or guards would need to be engineer passed for rego?

If they were fine for rego they would most likely fall into the owner certified section of regulations, maybe the engineer is being picky with me due to the nature of the modifications on the vert.

We need to investigate further i suppose. I'll call up QLD transport authority tomorrow to see what the regs are up here.

nope, he said that they were absolutely fine to go on the car as it wasn't subject to the frontal impact ADR.

make sure you talk to their technical section.

i would ask "i have a 197x Datsun, can i use a fibreglass replacement panel on the car instead of a metal one?" and then confirm that a fibreglass bonnet and fibreglass front fenders are ok.. that is how i asked, but the guy was absolutely sure that they were fine

QLD transport require ADR compliance on the bonnet and guards, regardless of weather or not they are carbon or glass. :eek:

If they did not have the stamp you would need to get a mechanical lab at a uni to test them.

The RTA frontal impact regulations came into play in 1995 so I'm not sure what my engineer is talking about with the 1988 date, I guess he's just being picky with my car or he simply doesn't know. All you need to worry about in NSW are sharp edges on them so any pedestrians you choose to run over won't get cut.

The RTA frontal impact regulations came into play in 1995 so I'm not sure what my engineer is talking about with the 1988 date, I guess he's just being picky with my car or he simply doesn't know.

i wonder if he does know.. in an article he published (and is on his site) http://www.consulmotive.com.au/Website%20Pages/Articles/LOL%20Body%20Modifications.pdf, he states that Fibreglass replacement panels are only allowed on pre 71.. not only does that conflict with the RTA.. it also conflicts with another article he wrote on carbon fibre replacement bonnets (http://www.consulmotive.com.au/Website%20Pages/Articles/Lighten%20Up.pdf), which he says is ok on pre 95 cars.

i also take it from that last article that pre 79 (with side beams) you could replace your doors with CF/FG skins etc. Not that i would.. i am still looking at putting them in on mine (can never be too safe)

i also wonder where you can get ADR8 compliant Lexan :)

Edited by khughes