IGNORED

Thinking of picking up a euro points dizzy from MSA

Zedyone_kenobi

I plan to run a pertronix unit in the new dizzy. I have a pertronix now.

I do not plan on recurving anything. Why, Because for how cheap it was to acquire this distributor, I could not get mine recurved. So the advantage is a stock euro dizzy with pertronix over a stock US distributor with pertronix.

So comparing running 5 degrees initial advance to 17 degrees will definitely change the way the car drives. Every other country got a more aggressive curved distributor. The US got an 'emissions' unit. I think this will be a nice step up.

I stopped running points a long time ago.

Shade keep in mind that MSA does not sell these anymore. At least they did not when I checked. I had to buy mine from a nice chap in the UK. That is why I am going to get it rebuilt. As I do not know how good of condition it is in since it is used.

im not looking to buy a euro dizzy, i want to curve my electronic dizzy to the specs of a euro dizzy for a more aggressive advance.

Gotcha, then I better get to swapping so you will know. I think it will a few weeks. I need to send it off.

Is there anyway I can measure shaft slop? It may not need to be rebuilt, and if not, I can just take my pertronix off my current one and put it on my euro one.

Is there anyway I can measure shaft slop? It may not need to be rebuilt, and if not, I can just take my pertronix off my current one and put it on my euro one.

It's an easy swap. You could always install it and see how it runs. If all checks out you could save the time and expense of a rebuild.

I plan to run a pertronix unit in the new dizzy. I have a pertronix now.

I do not plan on recurving anything. Why, Because for how cheap it was to acquire this distributor, I could not get mine recurved. So the advantage is a stock euro dizzy with pertronix over a stock US distributor with pertronix.

So comparing running 5 degrees initial advance to 17 degrees will definitely change the way the car drives. Every other country got a more aggressive curved distributor. The US got an 'emissions' unit. I think this will be a nice step up.

I stopped running points a long time ago.

Assuming the both dizzys are in good working order,the "US" one re-curved will be superior to the European one.Although the European one stock for stock is better than the emissioned US one,it will not have a "curve" "better"than one set-up specifically for your car.

Assuming the both dizzys are in good working order,the "US" one re-curved will be superior to the European one.Although the European one stock for stock is better than the emissioned US one,it will not have a "curve" "better"than one set-up specifically for your car.

How is the optimal timing curve determined?

Well here it is, the euro distributor I got from a nice fellah in the UK.

I am going to send it get rebuilt soon.

Pics for those who are interested:

4863069762_8c2b7b4b7a_z.jpg

I cannot help but notice the word LUCAS on the rotor.. that MUST be removed!

4863069522_c8f535487b_b.jpg

4863069700_bf5107d320_b.jpg

One thing I am unsure of, is the euro dizzy has a different amount of vacuum advance than the US dizzy. (11° vs 18°) I suppose I can just use a US vacuum advance diaphram and let it pull until it stops.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

I still have a Euro distributor that I bought from MSA back in the '80's. I ran it until just a few years ago when I switched to the ZX electronic distributor. The Euro ran great at the 17deg static timing.

I notice that the part number stamping is on different sides of the body between yours and mine and that the part number is different between the two...

post-10882-14150811778934_thumb.jpg

I notice that the part number stamping is on different sides of the body between yours and mine and that the part number is different between the two...

It looks to me like they are both stamped D606-52, which is the Hitachi model number for the Euro distributor.

-Mike