IGNORED

Triple Mikuni Rebuild Help

73 240Z Man

Hello all, I am new to the Club. I recently got my first car back, a 73 240. The engine was built fairly well but hasn't run in the last 8 years.

I recently started to try to get it running. The compression is between 165 and 182 psi. I drained the 8 year old gas out of the tank, purged the fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs and checked for spark. I believe the problem lies in carberation.

It has the triple Makuni's on it and I am looking for the best place to get the rebuild kits.

I believe I have identified mine correctly as the type 5 (5 screw) model. Additionally, I was wondering how the Holley carb compares to the tripple webber. (My Z is naturally asperated.)

Another thing, I cannot hear the electric fuel pump when the key is on and if I remember correctly I should. I confirmed there is power at the pump and I am getting fuel to the carbs. I read the stock electric pump is a pile of Junk.

Should I;

1. Replace it with a aftermarket electric fuel pump to aid the manual pump

2. Replace with an aftermarket electric fuel pump and eliminate the manual pump

3. Just eliminate the electric pump and run off the manual one (if it supplies enough for the tripple Mikuni's).

Your advise is welcome,

Thanks, Chris

Edited by 73 240Z Man
error

his is a good place to start....

http://www.racetep.com/weberX.html

Dave.

Also, The webers require at least 4 pounds of pressure, so make sure your Fuel pump is in good working order. If I remember correctly, The 73 has both manual and electric pumps. The Webers work better on electric. I too have Triple 40DCOE Webers.

% screw don't make sense to me but what is your model number? (40, 44, 50 DCOE?)

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

I believe I have identified mine correctly as the type 5 (5 screw) model. Additionally, I was wondering how the Holley carb compares to the tripple webber.
The Holley 4-bbl conversion is not even in the same league as any of the triples - Weber, Mikuni, OER, whatever. Triples are way better than a Holley.

For the rebuild kits Overseas Distributing is another choice. They're in Vancouver, I don't recall shipping being bad, and have very competitive prices. It's been a few years but I used to deal with Jim Hilton over there, knowledgeable and friendly.

http://www.overseas-auto.com/

EDIT: forgot to mention, I beleive the 40 & 44mm carbs use the same rebuild kit.

Edited by preith

Also, The webers require at least 4 pounds of pressure, so make sure your Fuel pump is in good working order.

Not to split hairs, but the the Mikuni's don't "require" 4psi. IIRC the manual calls for 3psi but most racers run them at 4-4.5psi (myself included) with a lower bowl level (to counteract cornering g's) and larger needle seats.

Ok, You have talked me into keeping the Mikuni's... Thanks. I was leaning that way and just wanted to make sure I was on the right track... Its been a few years since I had the Z (15 or so) so I wanted to see what the best way to go was.... Thanks

You're probably right preith, I just have my flow meter set at 4lbs. If felt like it was choking on 3 pounds. Maybe just me. No split hairs here, just been a while.

Chris, You got over $1500 worth of fuel delivery there, I'd keep it and rebuild them. The price of a good rebuild and tune, far outways buying another set of S.U.'s, if you're looking for some good performance.

Don't get me wrong, S.U's ROCK, I love 'em. But I feel like I get more bang for the buck and when people come up and go "Holy Crap" That's a beautiful set-up ya got there"

I lost count of how many people asked me what size V8 I had under the hood.

I just tell them it's a straight 6 and they look dumb founded. I explain the stage 2 cam, ceramic coated header, 2.5" exhaust and turbo muffler have a deceiving sound effect.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...