IGNORED

Fuel Delivery Problem 1972 240Z

rbbertsch

7277: You were "spot on". The car started with a fuel line direct from the fuel can to the pump. Next step will be to try to clear the line that enters the tank. I suspect that is the cause and hope it can be cleared without dropping the tank. Again, thank you! RB

P.S. Thanks to the other for ideas...RB

you're welcome :) glad it worked out for you

I had the same problem in my '72 a while back. Thought you might be able to glean something from my story. My clog was self inflicted as I'd dropped a piece of duct tape in the tank and hadn't bothered fishing it out. The adhesive disolved and the individual fibers sloshed around forming little balls of fuzz that would occasionally plug my fuel line.

I, of course, didn't know this at first and wondered what was causing my car to suddenly die at random intervals. I tried the same stuff, new fuel filter, swapped fuel pumps, etc... I finally narrowed it down to either an obstruction at the tank end, or in the hard line between tank and fuel filter.

I tried blowing compressed air through the hard line from the back to the front, and that solved the problem for a few days, but eventually another little piece of fuzz clogged it up again. If it stopped running, then all I had to do was pull off to the side of the road, unscrew the hose from the intake side of the filter, blow on it to clear the obstruction then reattach it. Needless to say it wasn't the best solution.

Finally I got the car up in the air to take care of the problem once and for all. I had already had the tank out in the past, so I knew it wasn't rusty inside. I took off the gas cap (to relieve pressure) and blew compressed air through the hard line from the front then drained the tank. I replaced the drain plug and filled the tank up with the same gas, but this time I strained it through a rag. This only got some of the fuzz so I did it a second time. I made sure to blow some more air through the line to swirl and mix the gas throuroughly. When I drained and filled the second time I got even more fuzz, and two big fuzzballs which stayed behind in my plastic gas can and had to be fished out with a coat hanger.

Expensive lesson to learn, don't let stuff fall in your tank, and if you do then fish it out immediately.

• 4 years later...