IGNORED

Exhaust fumes in cabin solved!!!

Derek

Happy 43rd Anniversary!!

Had the Z out for a run to celebrate. What was most remarkable was that there were no comments/complaints about exhaust fumes from my wife...no smelly clothes and/or burning eyes...ALL GONE...Period!!

Why the disappearance? It has to be a secondary benefit from refurbishing the rear tail lights which was carried out over the past winter. Specifically, better sealing around the light fixtures.

Cheers,

George

• 9 months later...

Still enjoying clean air!!! This really has enhanced my Z driving experience. Windows down and 70mph is a joy. I did also find some small exhaust leaks in my exhaust system around some band clamps, which I removed and welded solid. I think I was smelling this when I was rolling up to a stop.

Though my hatch seal still shows leaks using the fog test, they are very minimal and I can't smell them. The remedy there might be an actual Nissan seal;0

So if you are dealing with smells, there is hope. first thing I would check is the hatch panel. Think about it, it's been there for 40 years and very possibly been removed at least once-probably by you---so seal it up!!

Thanks for that. I'm about to put the 280Z back on the road after Winter hibernation and exhaust smells in cabin were a top priority. With new Tail light seals and the hatch panel seal, perhaps I won't reek of exhaust fumes after a drive!!

Edited by Chickenman

• 1 month later...

I had a 240 years ago and it had a spoiler on the rear deck. I was rear ended and I took the spoiler off. That's when I noticed the fumes so a spoiler might be a option. Also I had another 240 that I bought and tailpipe was bent at a 90° Angle no fumes. I later put headers and turbo muffler on the rear the fumes returned. I've own five 240's since '81 I still have two '70& '71 and a '90 300tt. I've seen some things. Not a mechanic just deductive reasoning.

I think most people confuse exhaust fumes, with gasoline smell. I had the problem to ( windows up and down ), and it went away after I replaced all the fuel lines and gaskets on and near the fuel tank, including the filler neck and gas cap seal. No more smell since.

I don't believe it can be exhaust fumes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it. It's exhaust fumes. There is a vast difference in smell between Gasoline vapors and exhaust fumes. I've had exhaust leaks in various cars and they all smell the same ( Non- Cat ) .

Only car that was as bad as my 280Z was a 1986 Camaro. Similar design to Z with a hatch back design and problem was the same. Leaky Tail light gaskets and hatch seals. Replaced all seals and gaskets with genuine GM products and fumes completely disappeared. GM design has very thick seals and hatch closes VERY tight. In fact so tight that you cannot close the hatch by hand pressure alone. You gently close the hatch, then there is a " Pull Down " electric motor on the Body latch that draws the whole hatch shut...with some pretty high pressure I might add. The GM seals are very thick and need to compress a lot to ensure a seal.

These  designs create a low pressure area around the back hatch area and will suck in fumes like a vacuum cleaner.

GM design with super tight closing required, points to an issue on my car that I just found yesterday. There is a full width spoiler from PO, and tailgate does not latch down tight enough to compress the hatch seals enough. Spoiler hits edges of fenders and leaves a mark if latch is adjusted to close tighter. Ultimate fix may be eliminate or modify the spoiler ends  so that hatch can close tighter. Seals are fairly new ( although not genuine Datsun ) and I get water leaking past them at a couple of spots if I take the car to a Spray wash.

Edited by Chickenman

• 3 weeks later...

I think most people confuse exhaust fumes, with gasoline smell. I had the problem to ( windows up and down ), and it went away after I replaced all the fuel lines and gaskets on and near the fuel tank, including the filler neck and gas cap seal. No more smell since.

I don't believe it can be exhaust fumes.

Oh it's possible to have exhaust fumes.  Trust me.   I have both.  Haha.   Gas vapours only show up when I fill the tank.  Exhaust fumes showed up when I replaced my down pointing exhaust tip with an MSA unit.

Edited by HuD 91gt