IGNORED

Kanji found when removing a dash

Zulaytr

Graffiti was mentioned as a possibility for some of these writings, but in all honesty, I think there were legitimate reasons for these particular ones portrayed in this thread. I will pass on my thoughts at the risk of over speculating. Doing so may allow someone who is translating the writings to put 2 and 2 together and bolster their own theory. The markings being discussed in this thread could possibly serve more than one purpose.

The instrument panels would have been assembled on a separate line (probably circular) and meet up with the trim line when completed. With all the different market variants there would be a need to schedule the panels to be sure each car meets up and meshes with the corresponding correct panel, complete with the VIN tag attached. It would be the panel installer’s responsibility to make sure the VIN on the panel matches the build sheet accompanying the car. Because of these examples of HLS30s having such a variety of markings on them, even if there is no discernable difference in the build, we can rule out the likelihood of the bare panel coming from the supplier with this writing. The panels would most definitely had build sheets with all the necessary information, travel with them while being assembled. So, no writing required yet.

I don’t know for sure how many different steering column assemblies there would have been for all markets of the S30 in a given time period, but I’m guessing 3 or 4. Could the markings possibly indicate what steering column assembly was called for? I don’t think so, simply because I can’t think of a reason to mix numbers with these other writings. (By the way, my IP only has the number 46 written in this location.)

I’m guessing an approximate number of people needed to man this instrument panel line to be about 20, with one of them being a repairman who would correct any mistakes in the build or change out parts for whatever reason. With maybe as many as 30 carriers, each with an instrument panel clamped on them, suspended from this circular line, the repairman would be free to perform his work on one panel and then move to the next one that requires work. How would he know what work was needed without running the risk of missing anything or needing to visually inspect everything? The assembly workers on this line possibly wrote on this area to give the repairman the “heads up”? The two digit numbers could be the callout numbers for a particular part listed on the build sheet and the other writings could be symbolizing other repairs. (I would love to see a build sheet.) Or…

As the demand for these cars intensified measures had to be taken to maximize productivity. One of the most popular and effective ways to do this is, eliminate the need to shut down the assembly lines for contractual breaks. By using relief men to take the place of workers taking their break a great many more cars can be built in the course of a day/week/month/year. Some of these jobs would carry a great deal of responsibility to not make a mistake and the consequences of causing the main line going down would be dire. This is why a method of marking their work was devised by most relief men when taking someone’s place while they were on a break. A screw-up could be traced to the one responsible. Too many times the words…it must have been the relief man, had saved someone’s arse and cooked another. Typically, the relief man would mark the first job he worked on and that’s it because he would replace the worker for a set number of jobs/units and since they are scheduled that’s all that was needed. These are just a few points that came to mind while reading this thread. Take it for what it’s worth; it comes from my 33 years at almost a dozen different auto assembly facilities, working for 3 different manufacturers and an over active imagination.:classic:

I found a couple of old posts that are relevant to this thread. The first shows another example of the dash marking with Alan's translation http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10575&highlight=kanji+dash and the second shows a dash inspection tag that Victor found in an old car (also with Alan's translation). http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6172&highlight=dash+writing. Alan's explanations seem to support some of your theories Ron.

-Mike

Something to bear in mind - it was my understanding that only the USA-spec S30s had the VIN attached to the dash. That was not required elsewhere, the rest of the world had no requirement for the VIN to be visible from the outside of the car, as we did here in the USA. So matching the dash pad up with the proper chassis would not have been an issue for any Zs other than the US-bound cars.

In fact, considering how we've seen that the build date on the door jamb plate in the US cars does not always follow a sequential order, I'd almost bet that the dash VIN and the door jamb plate (with build date stamped) were the two very last parts to be installed, after all QA checks were completed. If, for example, a car were to be held up because the dash pad were faulty, you wouldn't want to have to remove the VIN from the bad dash and then reattach it to a replacement.

Just wild guesses on my part, I've never been in the car building business and don't really know how it works. But it seems logical to me.

Mike: It's all guess work, unless we get some substantiation from someone who was employed with Nissan at the time, who actually spent some time on the shop floor and is familiar with the practices in this era.

Arne: I would put my money on the VIN plates being already mounted before the IP was installed in the car. The windshield would not yet be in place. Even though other markets never had a VIN plate mounted to the dash, there was still a need to ensure the proper IP was installed because of the many variances. The build sheet would have accompanied the IP until it was mated with the corresponding car.

A while back I shared some of my manufacturing experiences with a few members who had an interest in the processes employed in North America during this same time frame. The simularities with the practices in Japan are uncanny to say the least. If it wasn't for the language barrier, I would have been right at home in Japan building S30s. Here is an explanation of the stamps and their use here that I sent to Chris more than a year ago, because he collects them.

Hi Chris,

I followed a link yesterday that led to a discussion

on stamps and their purpose. I didn't want to revive

an old thread without pertinent information or a

question pertaining to the subject. I thought since

you are collecting them you would have an interest. I

have experience with stamps in automobile

manufacturing. I have attached pics with a few

examples of stamps I have used. These were as much a

part of my daily work apparel as my wristwatch. A

correct procedure system was in place and all stamps

were assigned and records were maintained on their

possesion and use. They were issued to personel who

were authorized to sign off on known defects or

possible defects, that were either tested or repaired

on vehicles in the system (those would relate to the

Ken stamps), or parts OK'd to re-enter the system

after being reworked. Re-work is a separate department

with a team of very busy, multi talented people, who

daily, anyalize and come up with solutions for a

multitude of problem parts coming from the suppliers.

These are stop gap measures to keep the line rolling

until the supplier has the problem rectified. Some

suppliers had their own buyoff stamps that were used

also to identify and sometimes date their re-worked

pieces. (I believe the stamp in question in the thread

was a rework stamp. I couldn't say if is a supplier

stamp or used internaly though). There were quite a

variety of stamps. When I was the Production

Co-ordinator for the Windsor Assembly plant, I was

charged with ordering, issuing, recording and tracking

the use of these stamps. The design of them progressed

over the years. The circle was incorporated into the

design to improve the quality/readability as it is

slightly raised and lessened the chance of the image

being smeared. The one on the far left is the first

one I was issued in the late 60's. Because they are

ordered in bulk I actual used one that was original

issued to someone who had died years before, but it

was registered to me.

Just a tidbit, Ron

In fact, considering how we've seen that the build date on the door jamb plate in the US cars does not always follow a sequential order, I'd almost bet that the dash VIN and the door jamb plate (with build date stamped) were the two very last parts to be installed, after all QA checks were completed. If, for example, a car were to be held up because the dash pad were faulty, you wouldn't want to have to remove the VIN from the bad dash and then reattach it to a replacement.

I agree with Ron. I would think the dash VIN tag would be installed before the dash assembly was installed. The door tag would be easy to either put on last or replace if the car was delayed due to a problem requiring rework. I think we see more cars with lower VINs that are shipped later rather than the other way around. HLS3000048 has a door tag of 2/70 for instance. Obviously they didn't replace the dash VIN at least in that case. That is one of the more extreme examples. Most of the other ones are just a delay of one month. I think #26 has a 11/69 date stamp on the door, while #27 and most other sub 100 cars have a 10/69 door date stamp, so I think the door tag is more of a shipping date.

Thanks for posting the information about the stamps Ron. Very interesting.

-Mike

Sounds like a good time to post some pictures! These were collected from scans of Nissan "Shatai" brochures which I believe to be publications Nissan put out to stock holders and corporate people about Nissan production capabilities and their manufacturing facilities. Alan, you are certainly welcome to chime in on this. I have a couple of these brochures from the 70's time period.

Arne mentioned that he couldn't visualize the manufacturing process and Ron is discussing things that make a lot of sense when you get the idea of how the cars were built. We all understand the concept of the production "line". What Ron describes are the various "lines" that feed into the main assembly line and all the people involved at various assembly points along the "line".

The first picture is from 1959 showing what a manufacturing assembly would have looked like. Then a number of S30 assembly line pictures. The welding picture isn't S30. That's the machine that made all those spot welds though.

post-4148-14150803880521_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803880848_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803881227_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803881609_thumb.jpg

Here are some pictures of how the bodies were fabricated out of sheet metal stampings. See the stitch welding over the tunnel? At some point, the floor sub-assembly was placed on a jig and welded to the firewall and front frame assembly.

post-4148-14150803882032_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803882187_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803882326_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803882645_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

See how the assembly line snakes around? In the background you can see body shells going the other way? As this line snakes its way through the building, certain sub-assembly "feeder" lines come into this main line with sub-assemblies (like the dash). The guy driving the car off the line in the last picture is Mr. Ok.

post-4148-14150803883009_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1415080388358_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150803884057_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, The two sketches are new to me and way cool! I have to ask...is this your work? The overhead welding sketch is worthy of some careful study, as are all the other photos. The sketch of the car on the Tram is a familiar scene and very well done, but the headlights should be turned on.:D

There just are not enough photos of these production areas, that I never tire of studying.

Ron,

This sketch evidently didn't make it into my last posts. These came from that booklet Dan sent me when we were having the e-mail conversation some time ago. There just aren't many pictures out there that describe the production process of the S30. And when we talk about the HLS30 and S30 and the PS30 all running on the same line, it is quite difficult to imagine. Then there was the conversation of how sequential serial numbers were painted the same color. Or the conversation of build sheets (the elusive build sheet!) Once I started looking at these pictures and others, a lot of things fell into the logic notches of my brain. Thought the pictures would help everyone understand how when and where all those little scribbles and stamps found their way onto the car.

post-4148-14150803884533_thumb.jpg

This thread is great guys! Nice to see all of this rare stuff. Just think...one of those cars could be in one of our garages right now.

I have 3 dashes in my basement tucked away, Im going to pull them out this weekend to see if they've been 'tagged'.