IGNORED

car shipping companies.

I used McNutt (www.mcnutttransport.com) - they were cheap and friendly. One thing you should note, they don't necessarily used closed trailers and they rely on a network of regional shippers, but everything is insured and I had no problems scheduling or receiving my 240Z.

McNutt was at least 50% cheaper than any other service I looked at (FedEx, Intercity, etc.)

Dependable Auto Shippers or DAS (http://dasautoshippers.com) is one of if not the nations largest carrier. They'll transport pretty much anywhere, you can choose covered trailer or not, and their shipping fees are fair.

They are eBayMotor's preferred auto shipping company. I looked into using them both when I sold my truck on eBay and when I very nearly bought a Florida car and while I didn't ever end up shipping a car, they were pleasant to deal with.

I used Reliable Carriers. They were excellent. I highly recommend them.

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

As a precaution, I wanted the car out of the sellers hands as soon as I gave them the money. I brought my newly purchased 240z to one terminal (Sun Valley California) and it was immediately parked inside until it was loaded in a closed carrier for shipment. 2 weeks later, it was in at my house.

The issue with companies that contract out the work is that it is hard to claim damage. Which party accepts responsibility for the damage? There are horror stories about some of these companies.

In the case of my 240z, I wanted it shipped by closed carrier, I wanted to be sure there was insurance, and I didn't want it contracted out. Sure, I paid a bit more, but the service was great. Dropping it off at their terminal saved me some money.

BTW, they went over the car in detail to note all blemishes prior to shipping. Their eye for the smallest imperfections was amazing.

DAS is a very good choice. I did not use them but they were my second choice based on my needs.

Al

PS. Make sure you follow the link above, there are others with similar names but are NOT the same company.

from your past postings you were looking for a project car for you and your son. What could be better than both of you flying out and driving it back?

search for 2400cc on zcar.com and see what he did with his son. coast to coast in a 240.

you never said how old he was. :-P

There are a lot of stories out there from people who have bought cars on the west coast and driving them back.

coast to coast by 2400cc on zcar(search author number, all dates, all forums then click on his last page then go forward from there.

Someone on hybridz picked up a 510 wagon in utah and drove it back to the east coast. I forget his name.

amc_oldsarg bought a 280z in oregon and drove it back to texas a little less than a year ago.

All very entertaining stories.