IGNORED

Exterior refresh of my red 240Z

Arne

Arne,

Are you replacing windshield due to problem?

I am considering replacing my windshield also since it is not perfectly clear, does have some small stone chips and abuse by Mojave Desert winds.

Where did you get your windshield? Manufacturer? Cost?

post-1760-14150803333397_thumb.jpg

Ron, my current one is an aftermarket part that was replaced when the original owner broke the original one many years ago. It is pitted and has some signs of lamination failure around the edges.

The replacement is also an aftermarket windshield, as the only Nissan glass still available has the dark shaded band at the top, which I don't want. I do not know the brand I'm getting, I just told my glass man what I wanted and he found it and had it shipped into town.

the center section of the cowl grill masked off?
Because the paint on the radiator support is fine, and I don't want to paint over the original sloppy flat black paint.

the center section of the cowl grill masked off?

Just curious.

Lookin' good and fixin to eye-pop Arne!

Jim D.

"Zup"

Oops! I read your question wrong, Jim. He did that because he didn't want high-build primer in the slots. He will hand prep the grill area.

Looks awesome Arne! From what I can see, your car is receiving great care. I can't wait to see the finished product. I know prices vary a great deal, but what is he charging you for the job? Someday I will get around to painting mine. All I need to do is find a huge oil deposit in my back yard and I will be able to afford it. ROFL

The quote was $3500 for pretty much just exterior paint and minor dings. No rust repair, no real damage repair either. He hasn't uncovered any surprises so far, so I expect that to still be valid.

Of course, you also have to consider the rest of the costs - the $350 or so for new weatherstrips and other rubber bits, the $380 for a windshield and the labor to install the front and rear glass, the $450 for the roof re-skin (and I already owned the skin), etc.

It'll be $5000 for a paint job by the time it's finished. Some cars might not be worth that, but this one is.

That's about what I would have guessed. It's just too bad that *most* of these cars aren't really worth painting. I have around $7500 in my '78 and it still looks like a junker. If I ever buy another Z, it will be one that has a great body and perfect paint. The mechanicals can be done over time, but the $5000 hit all at once for paint hurts. I see so many beautiful Z cars list for $8000-$12000 and read as forum members complain about the outrageous asking prices. Most of those owners are losing their shirts at those prices.

I applaud you for bringing one more Z back to its original glory. The sunroof HAD to go. Personally, I would never even consider a Z with a sunroof no matter how nice the rest of the car is.

No longer gray/pink. Not sure I had the white balance right for inside the booth. Daylight pictures will have to wait a day or two. I'm scheduled to pick it up Friday afternoon.

post-8596-14150803453551_thumb.jpg