Sign in to follow this  
Arne

Exterior refresh of my red 240Z

Personally, I would never even consider a Z with a sunroof no matter how nice the rest of the car is.
Turns out that getting rid of the sunroof was not that hard or expensive. So the mere presence of a sunroof need not keep you from buying an otherwise good car.

Turns out that getting rid of the sunroof was not that hard or expensive...
True ... but it sure helped that you had a donor car available with a straight and clean roof !

It's looking good Arne ...

Looking good so far, guess it's time to change the avatar again.

Hurry up Arne, Canby's aroung the corner.

Dave.

Looking good so far, guess it's time to change the avatar again.
Naw, I think I'll wait until the weekend. :D
Hurry up Arne, Canby's aroung the corner.
Tell me about it. The plan is to pick it up late Friday afternoon. Even if I don't work on it at all evenings after work (what are the chances of THAT?), I have two full weekends, plus the Saturday of Canby weekend, since I only plan on attending on Sunday. That's 5 full days. I've been cleaning parts over the past two weeks in my spare time, so in many cases it'll be pick it up and bolt it on. The cleaning is what takes the time. So I figure at the very worst it'll be weather-tight and drivable, even if it's not completely assembled.

And if it's drivable, I'll bring it.

Checked in again today, but no new pictures, as to the camera it looks much the same as the last one. But in person, it looks great! I can't wait to bring it back home tomorrow afternoon.

Wow! Tht's fast. I'm still weeks away from getting mine back from the body shop...

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing pics of her fully assembled.

Yeah, I'm actually very impressed with both shops I used. I began this whole deal on April 26 when I pulled a few parts off and took the car North for the roof skin. I'll have it back today, May 30, and I suspect I'll have it assembled enough to drive by the end of this weekend, and probably complete in another week. We're talking 6 weeks total. That's way faster than I would have guessed.

I'd be dying to get it back together, yet afraid of starting too early before the paint is cured.

I can't wait to see the end results Arne!

Just got off the phone with the shop, it's done!! He's cleaning it now, I go to pick it up as soon as I can sneak away from work!

Sweet! I'm several years away from that point for my Z, and will have to get my Volvo 1800S painted and back on the road before the Z, but I'm already jealous! It will be cool to see the car in person at the show.

Greg

It's home, and it's good. Reassembly has begun. I've called it a night for now, don't want to work on it if I'm not fresh.

The results look to be just what I wanted, not a showroom or concours job, but a very sharp refresh of an original survivor. It's going to look great with all the trim and lights back on it.

Doors are going to be hard to close for a while, damn weatherstripping...

post-8596-1415080349091_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803491317_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803491805_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803492141_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803492475_thumb.jpg

post-8596-1415080349302_thumb.jpg

Looks great Arne:p Have a good time putting here back together. See you at Canby! It should be no sweat for a guy like you.

Very nice Arne! The spook looks good body color also. Everything seems to have fallen into place nicely in a short amount of time.

Glad to see it looking so good! Hope the nice weather keeps you "fresh" in getting it reassembled and back on the road.

I have to say, though...with the exterior paint looking so nice, it makes me really want to get in the engine bay and front rad support and clean that up, too....then again, I haven't had my OCD medications yet this morning either...

All the glass is in, as is all the door hardware, and the hatch parts. Front lights and side markers first tomorrow, then the grill, maybe the bumpers and emblems. Lots more cleanup to be done inside and under the hood.

post-8596-14150803500399_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803500834_thumb.jpg

Purdy, purdy, purdy. It is going to be a real beauty! It looks fantastic so far.

All the glass is in, as is all the door hardware, and the hatch parts. Front lights and side markers first tomorrow, then the grill, maybe the bumpers and emblems. Lots more cleanup to be done inside and under the hood.

Looking good!

You're a lot braver than I was, Arne. I let my paint cure in the driveway for a month before I even started any kind of real reassembly! The only thing I put back in was the quarter windows.

Very nice Arne! The spook looks good body color also. Everything seems to have fallen into place nicely in a short amount of time.
Yeah, the red front spoiler is definitely a hit with me, I love it!
I have to say, though...with the exterior paint looking so nice, it makes me really want to get in the engine bay and front rad support and clean that up, too....then again, I haven't had my OCD medications yet this morning either...
I put the spook on first thing, before I had done any cleaning, because it seemed to me that the safest place for it to not get scuffed was on the car. Cleaning has been done now.
That's a lot of work to put all that back together!
Maybe, but its work I like doing.
You're a lot braver than I was, Arne. I let my paint cure in the driveway for a month before I even started any kind of real reassembly! The only thing I put back in was the quarter windows.
I figure if it's cured enough to color sand, it can stand me (carefully) putting it together.
The Black side stripes would look really good on your car Arne......
I've considered that, but not sure yet.

The exterior is now done. Haven't tackled the interior yet, lots of dust to clean up in there before I can start putting it all back together.

Yes, I've found a few (very small) flaws, but on the whole, I'm very pleased. It was a good looking car when I tore it apart 5 weeks ago. Now, the roof is right, the color is far less 'orangy' and is uniform from top to bottom, and it is not covered with door dings and rock chips. In short, it is an even better looking car now.

post-8596-14150803501544_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803501966_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803502324_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803502679_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803503032_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150803503493_thumb.jpg

Wow, she looks better than new, just like a new car!:D

Haven't tackled the interior yet, lots of dust to clean up in there before I can start putting it all back together.

That was the same with my car. When I got it back from being painted, the interior was coated in dust. You could make finger prints everywhere in there and had to blow it all out and vaccum everything.