IGNORED

Float Height Adjustment ?

OK, I searched the archives and didn't find much that helped me, so I'm asking here in hopes ya'll can.

I want to check and/or adjust my float levels on my 72. The three manuals I have are pretty much useless, since two of them skip the issue and the other has a useless measurement from the top of the gas in the bowl to the inside of the cap, with the float in and the cap screwed in place. How in the heck are you suppose to measure that ????

In any case, I don't know if they are currently set correctly, but I do know that when I pulled the floats out of the bowls the level of the gas at the bottom of the bowls was around .95" - .98" deep.

How does one go about adjusting the float heights properly ?

Note : I have the carbs where the legs that hold the floats are shorter on the front carb than the rear one for some unknown reason.

My first inclination is to ask why you feel they need to be adjusted. I talk to more guys who have hopelessly messed their carbs up because of the burning desire to "adjust their floats".

Give me a call tomorrow and I'll be happy to walk you through it. 503-587-9800

Here's a tip I posted a while back. It always worked for me.

Use any bolt that your 14mm wrench/socket will fit and with the float bowl lid upsidedown and level, place the head of the bolt sideways between the float lid and the float itself.

Now as you lower the float on to the bolt head, at the point it just touches the bolt, the float tab should now be just touching the needle. If it doesn't, adjust the tab so that it does.

My first inclination is to ask why you feel they need to be adjusted. I talk to more guys who have hopelessly messed their carbs up because of the burning desire to "adjust their floats".

Give me a call tomorrow and I'll be happy to walk you through it. 503-587-9800

Because I'm having starting issues as well as some power/performance problems, so I'm going through several things to make sure they haven't been jacked around at some point in the last 36 years. Thanks for the offer, I may just call you.

EDIT - I took too long composing this, you replied that the car isn't running well while I was typing. But I'll leave this post here anyway, as it may be relevant to someone else.

I'm with Bruce on this one. Why mess with them if they're working? The float level is the primary mixture adjustment. If the car is running reasonably well, and the nozzle adjusters on the bottom aren't either bottomed or topped out, there should be no need to do anything with the floats.

In many years of working with SUs (both British and now Datsuns), I've seen lots of decent running cars well and truly messed up because someone felt they needed to "re-adjust" the carbs. Fact is, once set, you shouldn't need to change them unless you tear them apart.

Here's a tip I posted a while back. It always worked for me.

Use any bolt that your 14mm wrench/socket will fit and with the float bowl lid upsidedown and level, place the head of the bolt sideways between the float lid and the float itself.

Now as you lower the float on to the bolt head, at the point it just touches the bolt, the float tab should now be just touching the needle. If it doesn't, adjust the tab so that it does.

That may work for one of the carbs, but I have the float lids that have different length legs for holding the floats, so the dimensions would need to be different for the front and rear carbs. I may be able to adjust for that though. Thanks.

I know I put this up before but I couldn't find it by searching, so here it is again.

This is just what I needed! I just need to figure out which carbs I have and then make some gauges. It even adjusts for the short and long float legs which I have. Thanks!!!