IGNORED

Mpg....

On another matter: I wonder how much George Bush had invested in oil when he went into office? Further, how much does he have now? It would take Sherlock Holmes to track it down I'm sure, but I bet in five years he will be the richest ex president to ever reside in the US of A. It baffles me how he ever got a second term.

Oh, he'll be rich, but 'ol GW was a notoriously bad businessman. As evidenced by his track record in the oval office. It's Cheney and his cronies that are making out like bandits. Awarded all the no-bid contracts in Iraq to friends and family.

Oil investors are laughing til they crap their pants. A small munber of people are making billions of $$$s off our loss. We are sheep - simply following the path where ever it goes. It is amazing that so many people are aware that they are being ripped off and there is no action taken to regulate oil company's profits.

Maybe when the cost of all goods rise it will sink in. I live on an island and shipping costs are beginning to be factored into food costs here. For me: I will get through it, but for the lower rung of society it's gonna sting.

Well, I just completed a short trip using 91 octane and went 158 miles (15 city the balance highway). Averaged 24.3 mpg with 6.5 gallons consumed. This also helped me calibrate by fuel gauge as it measured 1/2 Full when I completed this small trip. When the tank is empty I can add 13.5-14gals) so I figure I'll get roughly 325-350 miles range on a full tank. I did run on two interstates so cruised between 65-72 mph with my car running between 2300-2500 rpm. I have a 5spd from an '82ZX and R200 rear end. I estimate if it were pure highway, I'd get around 26 mpg at best given in city I get ~16-17mpg. I was hoping for a bit better but anyway I keep my 4BL 390cfm Holley running 1/8-3/16 turn richer in order to get great smooth acceleration and stable idling when the alternator kicks in (idle 900 rpm --> 840 rpm with Alternator on).

Specs: 65mph @ 2300 rpm (90 mph @ 3000 rpm) in 5th gear.

Mallory Unilite Breakerless Distributor

Mallory Promaster Coil

MSD 6A (pn 6200) - Ignition

Timing 16 BTDC @ 900 rpm (42 BTDC @ 3000 rpm)

NGK plugs - .060 gap.

Stock L24 Head and Block (Oversized Valves)

Compression 190-192 psi

Tires: BFG g-Force Sport 205/60/15 (about 1% oversized vs Stock)

Inflation: 26psi

I know that the gas tank from the S130 is different from those on the S30, but this still may be of help.

I pulled the tank the other day and found a ventilation tube completely disconnected. Apparently it had been off for quite some time, considering the amount of paint that had been eaten off of the surrounding area.

I must admit that I am pleased to have found the source for a very intermittent smell of raw fuel, and that the car hasn't just caught fire for no apparent reason...

My point being: poor fuel economy may not be a purely mechanical issue-there may be a connection that is not good, or completely off somewhere beyond view.

post-11908-14150803617914_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150803618411_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150803618887_thumb.jpg

This sounds a bit sick, but I'm starting to LIKE the high gas prices. I live in a very deprived area where $10/hr is "good". People don't have the money drive aside from necessities. The roads are DEAD! I ride a bike ~20mi a day so I love it! I'm actually considering buying a motorcycle again because I'll finally feel safe on it.

Most people who are complaining about gas prices are living in excess anyway. I have no sympathy for someone who it driving a Suburban financed for 84 months, a 30yr no money down mortgage on a house 50mi from work, and maxed out credit cards. Working in cars dealerships my whole life, this describes a majority of SUV/truck buyers. The only people I really feel sorry for are truckers and people in the airline industry. My DD gets 34mpg and was well within what I could afford to buy.

Yes, these prices are BS. Of course there are some scum bags manipulating the markets, but we've known that for years. I do not think the world can go on with prices this high and soon those people making money will see that also. Mobil is selling off gas stations because they aren't making money. People are putting all their money in their tank (profits of penny's/gal) and not buying the profitable snacks inside. Eventually things will balance out.

In reality, $4/gal only amounts to a couple hundred more per year. If a couple hundred more per year is that much, then you should seriously look over your budget.

BTW, watch out for the fuzz!!!!! Less cars on the road mean less cars for tickets. Police budgets are out of wack due to the high cost of gas. That means they're going to have to write MORE tickets for LESS cars. I've seen more speed traps this year than I have since I started driving. You won't be complaining about gas when you get a $250 ticket and your insurance goes up for 3 years!

I don't think that is the only people complaining about gas prices. That is a very narrow view. If you are living on $10 an hour you will feel it soon in the supermarkets or for that matter anywhere that you have to pay for a necessity - prices will rise on virtually everything that is in anyway shipped - the truckers and air operators will realize their costs and recoup them out of your pocket (likely with a few dollars profit as well).

In reality, $4/gal only amounts to a couple hundred more per year. If a couple hundred more per year is that much, then you should seriously look over your budget.

I seriously doubt it's only a couple extra hundred dollars a year. With costs increasing at a exponential rate, my fuel budget is higher surely more than that after a year. And how about the people that have a long commute to work? Much much more, I say.

working as a wholesale sales rep, i travel about a thousand miles per week.

when i got into this business, i could fill my old sentra up and drive on about $10 to $12 dollars a day. at the current cost of $4 per gallon, on the same amount of fuel, it takes about $50 per day and i pay for my own expenses. my Frontier pickup gets about 26 mpg and i have an appointment with a mechanic to add a new system that adds hydrogen to the engine and he guarantees at least a 25% increase in fuel mileage and up to 30% more horsepower. i figure i can save enough in fuel expense to pay for the unit and instalation in 5 to 6 months, if gas doesn't go any higher. i am not knowledgeable enough to explain the system but if you want to read up on it here is the link.

http://www.theautoguy.tv/pages/aquatune.asp