IGNORED

Fairlady 432 Z Rare wheel - FOUND

:D

Hi

I was searching around for some parts, when I found only one Fairlady Z 432 Magnesium wheel in a small junkyard.

When I saw it, well, I just bought it and took it home. Now it`s painted and it looks nice.

Besides being rare, it is beautifull!! Pictures doesn`t show it`s true beauty :)

Pic_15158_26.jpg

Pic_15158_27.jpg

Pic_15158_28.jpg

:love:

Filipe

Yes, these wheels were available here, but it`s rare to find one in a junk yard!

The size is 14" and 5.5" wide. These are the street magnesium wheels, them there is also the original rally wheels in 14" and 7" wide that were used in Factory Rally cars!!

Filipe Azevedo

They weren't just 432 items. They were available as an option on any JDM Fairlady Z, and export 240Z's sold in Portugal.

Rare, and long past its safety use by date too.

Awesome find Fil !

And what is this thing about Magnessium wheels having a due date ?

Awesome find Fil !

And what is this thing about Magnessium wheels having a due date ?

Magnesium wheels will weaken with age and crack. As to how long this takes to happen, it depends on the wheel.

That's why that watanabe is on my wall as a cord reel....after using it for a few years cracks started to develop and it's not safe to drive on anymore.

Wheel arse'y-front road (Magnesium) (5 1/2Jx14) 40300-E4200

Wheel arse'y-rear road and spare (magnesium) same Nissan Part Number...

I have some shots of those on a car from a pig barn (no lie!) Nasty, Crusty Black ones...

I wish someone made a correct aluminum replica. Having that nice looking wheel for a spare to make a nice billet reproduction from a place like Boyds would really set off a period-correct restoration!

Not like using the above Nissan Part Numbers will glean any reward...

The rally cars used a different wheel, which had cut outs in each of the spokes.

works rally mags: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11937&d=1145269330

Someone did make a correct aluminium replica. The company ,Kobe Seiko, that made those wheels for Nissan later made a very similar design in aluminium called Maglloy.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11938&d=1145269362

Magnesium wheels will weaken with age and crack. As to how long this takes to happen, it depends on the wheel.

Actually, as I understand it - magnesium wheels are very subject to corrosion, when the corrode they develop small surface pits - and it is the pits that lead to stress cracks developing. If the wheel has been protected by the proper coatings, sealing out air and water - the wheels useful life can be greatly extended.

It takes special metal preparation processes and the proper types of primers and paints to protect the magnesium alloy wheels however.

So inspection for corrosion pitting is more important than the age of the wheel.

FWIW,

Carl B.