IGNORED

BRE Air dam

Blue Meanie

Any recommendations on a BRE type air dam for my 72? I decided I was going to put a smaller lip spoiler/air dam on the front. I noticed MSA carries them with and without vents. Are they the best place to get one, or has anyone found a better place?

Also, probably gonna replace my hood as well. Since I'm not racing I was thinking of sticking with the metal one. Any rec's on where to buy one?

Thanks,

Meanie

You can still get the hood from Nissan. Order it from your local dealer and there's no shipping charge.

MSA is the only place I've seen with the version w/o ducts these days. And they are definitely one of the more affordable places to get them.

However I got mine from Les Canaday at Classic Datsun Motorsports, who owns the original BRE molds. His version has the ducts, and some people say it is better quality that the others. It is also more expensive. I can't say from personal experience whether the MSA is lesser quality than the CDM version I have because I've not seen the MSA part in person. But I can say that the quality and workmanship of the one I got from CDM is absolutely first rate.

The BRE Spook without the air ducts actually puts more downforce on the front of the car. The ducts were put there to direct cooling air to the brakes - but in order to do that effectively, you have to run duct tubes directly to the brakes from the Spook.

Unless you add the rear spoiler - the car is a little bit better balanced when you use the ducted Spook. The more downfoce you put on the front - the more you off load the rear. (ie pushing down on the nose forces the rear up).

FWIW,

Carl B.

Meanie Yuor blue Z is smokin' too! Carl ........I just sold my 93 TT to an old friend of yours.......John Csomay (Richmond Chapter #1) He said I needed to meet you some day, because you are "the man" when it comes to the Z car. Guy

Hi Guy:

Thanks for relaying the message - John is great guy and I'm sure your Twin Turbo will have a good home with him. Maybe we can all get together in Cleveland this year... not too far away for any of us.

Wonder if John's son is back in the States now - or over sea's again.

regards,

Carl

OK, I just decided to order a BRE style front spook from MSA, because I want the unvented version. I have never signed up for an account with them before. Upon checkout they want to know a CZCC or other club affiliation number. Must be for a club discount. Do we have numbers here? If so, where do I find mine?

I really thought hard about the un-ducted version from MSA, for several reasons. I'd heard vague reports of wet brakes with the ducted ones. And both versions look good. But the ducted version looks more like what I remember more cars having way back when, and how often will I drive in the rain? And if I was going to get a ducted one, I figured I'd pop for what might be the better one. I hope to only have to do it once, so I didn't want to take any chances of a poor fit. Probably unnecessary, but that was my thought process.

Ron, your CZCC number is 12938. It's not obvious, but if you view your own profile the number is visible at the end of the URL.

See the attached for an example.

post-8596-14150802742062_thumb.png