IGNORED

$30,000 Datsun 240z's....Get yours before it's too late

mally002

I was reading this months issue of Classic Motorsports and they have an article titled "Value shopping...10 cars to watch in 2008"

On page 32 they mention the Datsun 240Z and suggest buying one now before these cars reach $30,000.........

I was reading this months issue of Classic Motorsports and they have an article titled "Value shopping...10 cars to watch in 2008"

On page 32 they mention the Datsun 240Z and suggest buying one now before these cars reach $30,000.........

Funny - the last five 240-z's that have changed hands in past few months - that I know of - were all sold for $35K or more. These were of course Collector Quality examples..

Nonetheless - in a few more years I doubt you'll find a really nice, example for much less than $30K... It just costs so much more than that to restore one today... The best bargains are really in the $18K to $22K range today - they are the cars that will be over $30K in a few more years.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, what do you figure a #2 240Z is worth these days?

My red 240Z is a solid #3 now, and I'm hoping to get it to a #2 (or so) later this year. I figure I'll have $15-17k in it at that point.

Carl,

I should have stated that the article mentions cars that are $8-$12k today will be over $30k.

Also, what is the biggest difference between a #2 and #3 car......Who could evaluate mine. Would it be possible to maybe have an "evaluate my ride" thread.

There are alot of you guys who know so much more than me, I'd really like some opinions.....Good or Bad, it would be constructive critisism. Would that be possible based on pictures and information? If so I'll be the lab rat and post up my car........

The 60's muscle car generation is going to give way to the Xers. Hemi Cudas bring $1,000,000.00. The Xers grew up with the 510 and 240Z.When they get the"Bucks" that's what they will be buying(and rust never sleeps).

The 60's muscle car generation is going to give way to the Xers. Hemi Cudas bring $1,000,000.00. The Xers grew up with the 510 and 240Z.When they get the"Bucks" that's what they will be buying(and rust never sleeps).

Ahhh,Nope.The 510 actually preceded the big $ HEMIs.The 240Z arrived concurrent with the HEMI 'Cudas/Challengers,Birds/Chargers etc.

I grew up on all of them.And trust me,i am not a GEN-Xer.:laugh:

Ahhh,Nope.The 510 actually preceded the big $ HEMIs.The 240Z arrived concurrent with the HEMI 'Cudas/Challengers,Birds/Chargers etc.

Ahhh, yes! The 426 HEMI came out in 1964. The Hemi Charger came out in 1966. The Hemi Cudas, Challengers, and Superbirds actually preceded the 240z since Chrysler had them out at the beginning of the model year in August 69.

you're making me nervous! ahh.. even though i have a z.

sigh when i get to make better money ill buy like 2 more hahah clean ones not projects. :cheeky:

Well shoot, that's just what I need to hear. I've been looking off and on for the right 240 for a good 3 years now. I guess I better get my but in gear!

Anybody know where I can get clean, rust free example?

Looking for green/white/red/silver preferably stock or 'tastefully' hot-rodded (i.e. period correct)

-Paul

Funny - the last five 240-z's that have changed hands in past few months - that I know of - were all sold for $35K or more. These were of course Collector Quality examples..

Nonetheless - in a few more years I doubt you'll find a really nice, example for much less than $30K... It just costs so much more than that to restore one today... The best bargains are really in the $18K to $22K range today - they are the cars that will be over $30K in a few more years.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Pics? Hard evidence? It would be nice for these to be made public to help bolster claims of increasing value.....Can't raise my agreed value with insurers based on "well, I heard of a couple that sold for over 30k..."

Mags have been calling the Z "One to watch" since at least 2005. WSJ, Hemming's Sports and Exotic, Classic Motorsports etc all seem to take turns with it, but there's little empirical evidence to support the claim...$30,000 would be nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Just because it costs more to restore a car doesn't directly cause its value to increase, so I don't buy that as a legitimate singular cause of supporting the value of a particular collector car. Ultimately, it could tip the supply of restored cars toward a lower number since fewer and fewer people are willing to absorb the restoration cost, but there needs to be strong inherent interest in the car to support it's value, not simply the cost to restore.

Will the GenXers (my generation) support it? Who knows. Most of the time, people value the "Cars of Their Youth" when shopping for collector cars...for most of us, those were the Miami Vice cars, the 308, the 930, the Testarossa, the Buick GN, the Fox body Mustang, Firebird, BMW 6-series and E30 M3, MB 560SL etc.....60s and 70s muscle cars were an interest for many of us (Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch etc)

Ahhh,Nope...snip
Originally Posted by sblake01

Ahhh, yes!...snip

Ahhh...you're both dwelling on the wrong date subject!

Per Wikipedia, "Generation X is a term used to describe generations in many countries around the world born from the 1960s and 1970s to 1982, although the exact temporal boundaries of Generation X are not well defined."

So the Gen-Xers would have reached driving age (assuming 16 yrs old) at the earliest 1976 and as late as 1998! The majority of which was long after the glory days of the muscle cars and the hoopla of the 240Z era. These were not the cars of their youth.