IGNORED

aftermarket seat belt from MSA for 70-73

dualies

I have a '73 so I already have the retractable lap belt. What I did was , I took the shoulder belt and retractor from a '75 280 z . I removed the clip on the end of the donor belt and used the one from my '73 z belt and took the belts to a good shoe repair shop and they stitch right over the old stitch marks. So now both retract. I have been using them now for a few years and like the outcome. I have heard that the front seat retractor on a 260 2+2 can be used as well for a early 240 that doesn't have the pockets in the floor like the '73 Z has. The 280 retractor bolts right where the original belt did . Plug in and play. Gary:laugh:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/40-7490

Looks good, but very expensive, did anyone tried this yet?is there anyother alternative?

Yes, there are alternatives. Use the search function for seat belts and you'll find plenty of threads. The seat belts being sold by MotorSport Auto appear to be functionally similar to the ones I purchased from Wesco. As a matter of fact, essentially the same generic design can be found in many places.

Courtesy Nissan was also selling non-retractable seatbelts. I bought some of those, but I decided that it would be better to have the generic retracting seatbelts.

You can see pictures of the seat belt installation in my gallery on this site.

As for the price, I don't think it's out of line for seat belts with new webbing. With hardware, Wesco charges $80 per side.

I got the Wesco belts in my 73 and I love them. They work perfectly, great quality, fast shipping and great customer service. I showed them to Sal when he was still at MSA, he liked them too. I would like to think I started the ball rolling on MSA's new belts. I would highly recommend Wesco regardless.

MSA stated that 70-71 need to drill one hole, I know for your 73 no need to drill any hole, but if I use Wesco on my 71, how many hole do I have to drill? and will the shoulder belt be long enough??

I suppose it depends on where you put the retractor. Several club members have mounted the retractor up at the top mount (near the quarter window) and that does not require the drilling of a hole.

See this post for details:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24256

I suppose it depends on where you put the retractor. Several club members have mounted the retractor up at the top mount (near the quarter window) and that does not require the drilling of a hole.

See this post for details:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24256

This is where I mounted the retractor for the shoulder belt. Where the old belt bolted on. the '75 retractor is rather small , about the size of a hardball. Gary