IGNORED

Loop pile carpet, any recent purchases? (2008)

Arne

It

. I've got original carpets that are good enough as patterns with all the proper cutouts, etc. and he has demonstrated his ability!

Surely this carpet wouldn't be a limitation for a leatherworker/upholsterer that knows his stuff!!

Jim D.

"Zup" :mad: :bunny:

Jim,

I am thinking of reproducing the correct carpets for my 1/71 series 1 car but need to find good original carpet pieces for correct patterns. The carpet pieces that go behind the seats and around the black plastic tool and jack covers are particularly challenging as the pattern seems to have changed depending on whether the car was an early series 1 or late series 1.

What vin or build date car did your original pieces come from if you don't mind my asking? My car, also, has the two L shaped brackets just in front of the seats on both sides to secure the foot well carpets. The carpet there will have rectangular holes for these which need to be surge bound. Finding someone with a surging machine that car do closed openings like this is also challenging.

Dan

For the people who have already purchased carpets has anyone tried to make the cut outs for the rear carpet cargo straps ? I definetly like to get some measurements to I could get the cuts out done so I could put the cargo straps where they belong
Just to clarify here -- we ARE all talking about the pair of rectangular notches in the rear-most edge of the carpet where the luggage straps attach, are we not?

- - - - - - - - - -

240-Z CARPET FASTENERS

Bulletin Number TS72-56, June 13,1972

Predelivery Service: To keep the front floor carpet in position, four fasterners are now included in each 240-Z. These fasteners are in the glove compartment of each car, and must be installed at the pre-delivery inspection according to the illustration.

Beginning Serial Number: HLS30-77533

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That would be a build date of 04/72 and later....

Just an FYI...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Aha!! So the reason that none of us with earlier cars had the vaunted carpet clips was that Datsun didn't supply them until much later! Considering the history of my car, I thought it odd that all four of mine should be MIA.

For the people who have already purchased carpets has anyone tried to make the cut outs for the rear carpet cargo straps ? I definetly like to get some measurements to I could get the cuts out done so I could put the cargo straps where they belong

I'm not certain when - but the early cars had cut-out's for the luggage straps, and later cars simply had holes for the mounting screws to go though, with the fasteners on top of the carpet. I noticed this on my early production 72 Z (11/71).

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'm not certain when - but the early cars had cut-out's for the luggage straps, and later cars simply had holes for the mounting screws to go though, with the fasteners on top of the carpet. I noticed this on my early production 72 Z (11/71).

FWIW,

Carl B.

My late production '71 (7/71) also just has holes for the screws at the front of the straps, not cut-outs. But there are also rectangular notches in the rear edge of the carpet for the straps at the rear. I notice that most pictures of replacement carpet do not have those notches.

Arne,

Yes, I'm talking about the notches cut into the rear edge of the deck carpet where the straps are attached. My original carpet was long gone when I got it, so I wasn't certain how the front straps were attached through the carpet (individual holes or a longer slot). Based on what was described, my 5/72 probably had holes for the front mounts but notches cut into the rear part of the carpet.

The photo of the carpet kit on MSA's website (and in the catalog) used to depict those notches, but the pic has been removed from the site.

Edit: Thanks for posting those pics, Westpak... How are those front clips attached to the carpet?

FWIW here are pics of mine which I assume are original from 02/71, it is really faded but in decent enough shape I am going to try dying them

tn_rearmatt0.JPG tn_rearmatt1.JPG tn_rearmatt2.JPG

Looks identical to mine (7/71), although mine may be slightly less faded.

Looks identical to mine (7/71), although mine may be slightly less faded.

LOL when I took it out there was so much dust on it that I choked, I have been vacuuming it after that picture an swear it looks darker.

The backing is in rough shape and some small damages on the carpet itself, I am thinking of finding a place around here to see if they can fix it or maybe even using it for a mold to make new ones. Here in south florida you have a lot of good people with all of the south/central americans, no insult to anyone I am Colombian myself.

I also was talking about the front where the metal clips go too !! Did not realize that screws actually went through the carpet to install the clips thanks for clarifing that Carl and thanks for the photos of your original carpet Gus. Just have to check to the cut out in the rear of the car for the staps