IGNORED

Zinc

bkelly

Looks intriguing. I would guess it to be of some assistance but not completely effective. I've played with electrolysis and it's preety neat how changing polarity attracts or repels.

Note the wording on similar products says "controls" rust. (Not prevents or prevents entirely)

I can't imagine anyone subjecting their Z to salt like that. My buddy's father passed away leaving him a Ford F-150 only driven in Kentucky. It was five years old and had already had the brake lines replaced twice from rusting through! He was selling it and wanted me to look at fixing the oil leak. Funny but the oil pan had rusted through too. :)

Wouldn't even think of using a Z on salty roads. In FL the beach areas are bad enough though.

There are some things which you simply cannot overcome. Fertilizer, Chlorine, and road salt seem to permeate just about anything in time. Pool companies will add a few years to their pickups by spraying a thick liner such as Rhino liner. It's still a temporary stay of execution for the car though.

I am considering getting a new British Motor Heritage body shell for my MGB, and they use a zinc coating on their galvannealed steel to reduce rust:

"Galvannealed steel is coated with zinc on both sides by a continuous hot-dip process. Immediately as the steel exits the coating bath, the molten zinc is subjected to an in-line heat treatment that converts the entire coating to a zinc-iron alloy. (Iron actually diffuses from the steel into the coating.) The surface typically has a matte finish that's very different from the dappled metallic appearance of a galvanized coating. At times, galvannealed coatings may appear similar to uncoated cold rolled steel.

The zinc coating dramatically reduces rust in two ways: not only does it provide an additional barrier layer on the steel surface, but the zinc also functions as a sacrificial protector against galvanic corrosion. In other words, even if the zinc coating is scratched and salt water contacts the steel, the nearby zinc will tend to corrode instead of the steel. Galvannealed steel differs from galvanized steel in that the coating is thinner, harder, smoother and more even in appearance, more scratch and scuff resistant, and far preferable in terms of paint adhesion. Still, the galvannealed coating isn't a perfect solution. For one thing, the zinc coating is typically burned off around welds, the zinc coating doesn't cover die-cut panel edges, and it is subject to damage in press operations and part handling."

Interesting stuff, now if we can just figure out how to use Zinc to stop our Z's from rusting...

I think Ferrari does something like that with their cars. There was a program on Nat. Geo. about their factory. The whole chassis is dipped in a solution, but they didn't say what it was. Eastwood sells a zinc coating that you can brush on. I wonder if that would be effective? Of course it would require taking everything to be coated down to bare metal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The toyota echo has a factory applied zinc block that is replaced every 5 yrs or 100k miles, weighs about 2 pounds. It's a block with 2 bolt holes, so no welding. A friend has an echo here in wisconsin. and no rust new in 2001 and driven every winter. though it was only on the 99 to 2001 echo. dunno if it helped any.

• 3 months later...

On ships, the Zinc blocks are bolted to the keel, lower hull, and on the rudder(s.) The blocks will dissolve into the water over time, and get replaced.

Similarly, you should BOLT a zinc block to a car, not weld it on, so it is "electrically" attached and can be replaced. A friend has it on his truck.

thxZ