IGNORED

The making of reproduction parts.

hls30.com

Well,

Here is an update, We have another member of the team, and another technology to explore to get the parts done right-in terms of both looks and longevity. I think we are now on the right track, and the trials will be starting very soon. The molds I made will still be used, but not for the ultimate casting of parts. More durable molds will be made allowing for a greater diversity of plastics to be used, and thereby address the uv and heat stability needed for the parts to hold up in drivers as well as trailer queens.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Will,

Me and Justin54321 are looking into making Clear Dome light covers to replace the cloudy white OEM covers, found on most S30's.

Are you doing anything like this or did you even have plans? I ask because I'd rather see your clear lense then attemp it myself.

Dave

Dave,

I made several of those way back when I sent you the ub leds, but they suffered from heat exhaustion-they sagged as the warmed up. With the direction the casting is going, beter materials will solve that issue.

Arne,

Already on the list. every Z I have owned had that issue, paint and jbweld made them look right, but a mold and the right material will make them actually right.

I will make up a master document with photos so we can make sure everything that needs to be reproduced actually is.

Will

I used several castaible plastic resins to get all of the details of the lens. Using a drape based vacuum system you will give up some detail, and have a healthy level of trimming to do, and with the undercuts in the lens, making a faithful reproduction would be a challenge. Don't for get to stress relieve once you trim, or it will crack.

When you examine that lens, I think you will see, vacuum forming will get you close(and probably close enough), but it will not get you indistinguishable.

The best way (detail capturing wise) would be injection molding, and that is where my efforts are going now.

With the LED upgrade though, close enough to work the switch last in the environment, and look finished is all you need. Vacuum forming will get you there.

Will

I thought the dome light covers were supposed to be translucent white plastic. I got a new one for my car from VB and that's how it was. Maybe the 240Z had a transparent one that get cloudy?

thxZ

No, they're white translucent also. We're just trying to come up with a way to let more light into the cab of the car, even with the brighter LED conversions.

• 1 month later...

Arne,

Already on the list. every Z I have owned had that issue, paint and jbweld made them look right, but a mold and the right material will make them actually right.

I will make up a master document with photos so we can make sure everything that needs to be reproduced actually is.

Will

Will,

I was just doing a search for early series 1 antennas, which I desperately need for my restoration, and though of something else that goes with Arne's request.

There was, also, a black plastic spacer, I guess, that fit between the black plastic hemispherical piece that arne mentioned and a chrome securing nut which secured the mast and finisher hardware to the quarter panel. There is, also, a chrome, dome shaped washer that sat on top of the black hemispherical piece, but i didn't want to confuse my description. This black plastic spacer suffered the same UV destruction as the hemispherical piece.

Doing both of these plastic pieces would renew the mounting hardware dramatically.

Just a thought.

Dan