IGNORED

Want to build a high performance L28. Advice needed

Diseazd

I helped a buddy do the V8 swap into a '77 280Z some 20 years ago. It was phenomenally quick, almost brutal. You'd likely want an R200 to support that power - R200 has the nuts to handle it.

The problem was, IMHO, it lost the essence of being a Z. The sound of an inlline-6 with a less restrictive exhaust is fitting of a small, light sportscar like the 240. Not that I don't like rumbling V8s :)

I think I've decided to build an L28 block with 10 to 1 flat top pistons. We're thinking about the P 90 head shaved (shimmed cam towers) with Isky cam (reground Datsun). I'm going to start off with SU's with SM needles. I'll do an aluminum flywheel with the Centerforce clutch. The engine will be painted stock colors and should look like the stock 2400 when finished. This combo should give me some good pop with a chance to upgrade the intake to either Webers or fuel injected throttle bodies when the checking account fills back up! I'm going to put the R 200 (3:53?) rear and hopefully convert to CV's. How's that sound for starters? Appreciate all of your input as usual. Guy

If that's "all" you're going to do, the rear end swap will be beneficial more for the ratio than the stoutness. From what I've read and other respected opinons have voiced, the R180 is good to around 250hp, potentially higher without shocking the driveline from high RPM drag launch-style clutch drops.

The other option is to get some pro headwork done on your E-series head. Sunbelt Performance (as mentioned above) can do headwork to give you near 200hp, with the higher rev limit of the 2.4 block. No need to change the rear end unless you want a better ratio...Not sure of the cost analysis there, (figure 2k?) but certainly well within your budget.

ITBs look cool, but I haven't heard much in the way of performance enhancement of stock EFI with aftermarket management (eg megasquirt)...check with the guys at hybridz for more info. Ditto on DIS-type mods.

SM needles...where's Beandip? I have the stock 54s on mine (L28/P79) and it supplies plenty of fuel. Just smell my clothes after a tuning session--yuk!) The consensus of those who have experience with them is that they are too narrow a profile and over-enrichen the mixture. You could always buy some extra 54s and grind the profile to suit....

We are going to do some trick stuff to the head. I'm not sure exactly what since I'm leaving that up to "Doc" as in the Z Doctor in Roanoke Virginia. He's sending the head off (not sure where yet but will update) to get some trickery done. Some kind of flat top valves???? Once again I'll let you know when he let's me know. gUY

I recall that Bryan Little (Z Car Garage) knew the Z Doc and consulted with him on the building of his Z.

He did a "junkyard" version of what you are suggesting (P90, shaved, L28 block). He estimated about 200HP, and with 13.9 second 1/4 mile times, I'd believe it.

He did it on a crazy budget...his site is still out there - http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html

Interesting about the SM needles, too. Would've been cool to see a side by side comparison, 54 vs SM.

165rwhp is OK. Guy in my local Z club has a cammed L24 with triples that pulls 162 and revs all the way to 7500. Don't know the torque curve on it, though, but he says it's pretty flat until 3000 rpm. I'm betting Little's combo is more fun on the street (since that's what I've done:nervous:)

BTW, not much "trick" headwork left to be done on streetable L6s. Most is common knowledge...Here's a nice read while waiting on your head to return:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/TB/70-1050

Covers most of the basics and can be read easily in a day.

You guys have some great stuff! The Z Car Garage site is awesome. That's just what Doc said "Flat top pistons, shaved heads with his cam shims (to keep the chain tight) special valves, Isky reground cam, aluminum flywheel and SU's with SM needles and he thought it would turn high 13's. I also love the web that XRAY provided on the Stroker Motor. That's as good as it gets for instruction for anyone building any L series motor for the first time! Guy

My F54 (flattops) and P79 combo is putting down a firm 162rwhp at 6k rpm. its got a mild cam (.460 lift only) and SU's. its a fun drive, not fast by any means though. 15.1 car, that was with 50* weather and a moderate 60' time on street tires (not that i was spinning much anyway). definately no screaming rocket. I've contemplated the L6 build and meh V8 just seems to fit my needs/wants better. to each their own