IGNORED

'71 240Z - Windshield Wipers

RolfSis

Novice here, working with my brother's '71 240Z to put out to bid and sell.

Question: When taking out the seat, to fix, found a fuse. Also then found the fuse box, everything "looks" fine. Went driving last week, was smooth, and drive was GREAT stuff worked, drove again this week and the windshield wipers aren't responding.

? Could it be a fuse, and if so, should I take them all out and can you test them?

? Since we're planning to sell at current price or best offer ($4100), does it make sense to sink $s into investigating this and raising the price to sell?

? Or could it be something else I should do to make the wipers work?

Thanks tons!

Hiya, I moved the thread for you and deleted a few messages to make sure your topic stays going.. :)

Anyway, your troubles are "most likely" electrical. First of all, I'd replace ALL of the fuses in the fusebox. Making sure you find the right AMP ratings for all of them, replace every single one. Next, open up the cowl panel and find the wiper motor wires. Check for voltage using a meter when the switch is turned. If you have power, then your problem is due to a faulty motor. If you do NOT have power, then your problem may be due to a bad switch. I've seen these switches get dirty in the past and it might be a good idea to pull it out to clean some of the contacts.

Anyway, just a few ideas for ya to get started.

Fantastic, Mike, thank you tons and tons! You've given me excellent advice and when my husband returns from work, he'll help me further on checking out your helpful recommendations; especially the part on voltage meter readings.

I found the fusebox and that looks very helpful, I see names on the cover of each. Not sure how to find the AMP ratings, unless they're written on those tiny little fuses themselves, which I'll see soon. You clearly know what you're talking about; but me not so much ... ":0( ...

Your step-by-step help here, and moving this question where it belongs is so appreciated. Thank you again.

Well, replaced the fuses, but still no go. Hopefully some picture/update here will trigger some comments and additional ideas.

http://asta.bizhosting.com/november_updates.htm

Thank you. Hopefully someone will stop by here with other things to try after we use the newly purchased Volt Meter. Novice novice novice, that's me. ":0)

Mike is on the right track, Asta. The two most likely causes (now that the fuses are all fresh) are a dirty/faulty switch on the column, or a dirty/seized wiper motor. Or possibly something is unplugged under the dash and no power is getting to the switch.

One thing you could try to narrow down the choices would be to unplug the wiper motor harness there on the firewall and apply power directly to the terminals there to see if the motor will run. I don't have my factory manual here at work, so I can't tell you which color wires to apply power and ground to, but will try to remember to look that up this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have an update yet? Are you in business?

When you get the motor to operate, there still isn't a guarantee that the wipers will function properly. You may have to opoen the cowl up and take apart/clean/lube all moving parts so the contraption places a little stress on the motor as possible.

You are so sweet, helplful and THANKS! Don't know where to unplug what! And at the point of being overwhelmes with complexities beyond our knowledge on this classic 240Z. But have had people come by interested.... and maybe that's what has to happen. We all wanted to sell this to someone who would appreciate the classic 240Z and preserve/improve our baby, but maybe we just have to "get off it" and let it go.

BUT, What Mat M said "When you get the motor to operate, there still isn't a guarantee that the wipers will function properly. You may have to opoen the cowl up and take apart/clean/lube all moving parts so the contraption places a little stress on the motor as possible."

... We're quite sure that we're letting this puppy go! And, yes, we'd all just love to keep driving her, loving her, etc., but time is up! We're selling this baby!

Although, hubby and me went out driving week after week, and just love the

1) sound

2) power

3) ride

4) the way the Z turns people's head hearing/seeing it

and so on....

BUT, next Thursday, all good, she's going out to bid on eBay.

Anyone who hasn't driven a 1971 Datsun 240Z, doesn't know what she/he is missing!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO SEE/HEAR A VIDEO ON HOW SHE/HE SOUNDS!

":0) Asta

The engine sounds so good and powerful. We love taking it through the hills, cranking her up on the freeway and so on. People's heads turn, they hear the power, and look intrigued! Clearly it's a gem that others in the bay area of California turn their heads to see.

No doubt she'll sell soon when we put her/him up on eBay.

Having posted tons of pictures through time on the fixings, etc., and all the disclosures on this "as is" sale, more than happy to post more or links to previous details, if you like.

":0)