IGNORED

Anyone here drive thier Z during the Winter ?

WingZr0

I was just thinking does anyone drive there Z during the Winter.

Ruby is my only Ride and I don't know if I should get a beater to

drive during the winter and put Ruby in storage.

Or just drive her when I can.

The underside of Ruby is clean as a well taken care of car can be with Zero

Rust on the framerails, or anywhere underneath for that matter, for

being "restored" "refurbished" not to long in the past.

Also has a nice layer of undercoating aswell,

(THICK BLACK FUZZY LOOKING STUFF).

The paint on the other hand has seen it's day and my plan is to get her

repainted in the same Original color come spring.

Which is why I'm thinking of still driving her considering I'll have to

clean her up for the repaint anyway.

The only rust I found anywhere was trace amounts of surface rust along the

gas door rim edges where the paint has chipped away about .25 inch wide.

And about 3 bubbles on the rocker panel under the paint beneath the drivers

side 280Z emblem but further down still below the chrome rocker panel trim belt line.

Just wanna get an idea of who'll still be driving thier Z for winter?

~Z~

The ZX is my daily driver, and I drive about 300-350 miles per week, up and down some of the prettiest (and twistiest) mountain roads in North Carolina, year 'round.

Like the Post Office, the car always delivers, be it rain, sleet, or snow (and good weather as well).

From last year, our first snowfall found me fenderless, which made it easier to remove the salt they dump on the roads...

Snow002.jpg

nOpe, but it rains like Mad though.

What ever happens in Sac goes on here exactly 50 miles north of you on Highway 99

after splitting off of Interstate 5 heading the Reading way.

Jeesh, I keep forgetting how close some of you guys are there.

If I can get Ruby running right for more than 2 days in a row, I'll come down and see ya'll LOL

The ZX is my daily driver, and I drive about 300-350 miles per week, up and down some of the prettiest (and twistiest) mountain roads in North Carolina, year 'round.

Like the Post Office, the car always delivers, be it rain, sleet, or snow (and good weather as well).

From last year, our first snowfall found me fenderless, which made it easier to remove the salt they dump on the roads...

Snow002.jpg

You weren't joking LOL. Solid, Solid :)

Sure do....Then again this is in LA. However, I learned the hard way about fish-tailing and driving in the snow. Nearly lost her after ramming her into a snowbank and being stuck. Had it not been for some helpful locals, I'm not sure what would've happened. Thank God this was before the bodyshop!

I left a corporate gig with a company car in January this year. As part of my exit, I was given a car allowance for a period to make up for the loss of the use of the company vehicle. Instead of using that for a lease payment or a down payment on a new vehicle, I bought my '87 300ZX.

I used it for a daily driver from January until last month (I picked up a Sequoia to beat around in the snow with). I had some decent tires (Aquatreds) but could have used some true winter tires. Never got stuck though (and got in a coupleof wicked snowstorms).

Probably wouldn't do it again mind you. The car is in good shape and needed a paint refresh (happening shortly) but the salt and grime are just a bad idea.

I'm also in SoCal. I'll drive my Z (and my truck) year round but I won't drive them in rain or snow. Where I live it snows very rarely like once every four or five years, so snow isn't a problem. If it's raining, I'll drive the 810.

I live 35 miles north of Seattle, We get a crap load of rain and the occasional foot of snow.

I don't like to drive the 240Z in the snow, but I do anyways. I was cut off 4 years ago and slid into a curb at a 20 degree angle and slammed into the curb with my right rear wheel. It snapped the lower control arm and strut assembly in HALF. Bent the spindle pin into a funky looking Z shape and ripped off part of the dogleg, which I found was fiberglassed by the PO years before I got the Z.

Needless to say, I don't drive the Z in the city areas when it snows. Back and forth to the store, YES. but that's about it. Other than that, I drive her almost every day of the year.

Just make sure you wash the underside and the wheel wells after driving in SALT covered roads. You'll be fine. Took the first picture from the Z while driving around in the Snow

Dave.

post-4921-14150801528055_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150801528401_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150801528779_thumb.jpg