IGNORED

msa performance exhaust, 6-1 header with pics

xray

Hi Arne,

The muffler fit is still suboptimal. Nothing new since my pics of 11/18. I sorta like the sound...a bit of a grumble with a nice deep tone in the 2000-3500 range. Nothing ricey at all. The exhaust sound resonates in my chest when I check the rear brakes/wheels etc..a nice bonus, IMO. I installed a tip extension that has a small resonator in it which I think has toned down the noise level. My wife likes it--says it's distinctive but not overbearing. As I stated before, the muffler is the weak spot in the system, and I am sure better options are out there. As soon as I get some other issues taken care of, I'll do some more research.

I'd love a midpipe resonator with an over/under Ansa-type setup, but everything I've found is for the stock exhaust diameter (admittedly I've not been looking too hard.)

Steve

Figures. I'd like a smaller diameter system both to keep the noise level down and because a bone-stock L24 doesn't need a 2 1/2" exhaust. And I'm trying to avoid the over-under Ansa look.

I was looking at the specs on Dynomax's web site - the muffler MSA provides has side and center outlets? Would it make things easier to fit the muffler if it had side outlets on both ends? (Not both on the same side, but staggered.)

Arne, MSA's muffler has a center inlet and an offset outlet. If you do not mind spending a little bit extra, just get a custom exhaust fabricated for your car with your muffler of choice. I would get a 2-1/2 in. exhaust system and add a resonator to quiet it down.

If you do not mind spending a little bit extra, just get a custom exhaust fabricated for your car with your muffler of choice. I would get a 2-1/2 in. exhaust system and add a resonator to quiet it down.
I'm almost certain that I will end up having it built locally. Problem is that - in my neck of the woods - doing it the way I want is not just a little more, but quite a lot more. I've only got one shop around here that does mandrel bending, and they are quite proud of their work. They've quoted me $400-500 to do what I want: aluminized 2" or maybe 2 1/4" with a resonator and a round Dynomax in the rear. (I don't need 2 1/2" for a bone-stock L24.) I keep hoping I'll find something mass-produced that would be close enough to what I want. But I don't think it's going to happen.

Hi Arne, If you are bone stock, do you really need mandrel bends? The reason I ask is I had my system re-done by a local (not national) shop and I paid $258 for a 2 1/4" system: flange on the down pipe, squash tube bends (actually a lot less squashed than I had expected), an 18" glass pac (subsequently removed as not necessary), a Walker round Dyno muffler #17741, and a chrome tip. I had them reuse my Nissan mounts and rubber parts and they tucked it up nicely exactly the way I wanted it. I also got to stand there and watch/supervise. It was a tremendous improvement over the stock system and it was so quiet that I had them remove the glass pac and replace it with a section of pipe. It's still pretty quiet with NO drone in the 2,000-3,000 rpm range, or any range for that matter which is OK with my older sensibilities. FWIWIMHO I really think that mandrel bends are for aesthetics and not really necessary on a stock 2.4litre. Everything I've read tells me that the smooth pipes are for that last bit of HP from a seriously modified system, both intake and exhaust. I found my shop by chatting up the local hot rod guys at the car shows, same way I found my body/paint guy. Cheers, Mike

ps: the system is all aluminized. I have pics I can send to your email.

You know, Mike? I have also thought that mandrel bends might not be necessary for my application as well. You're right, it does look nicer, but what you described would still be far better than the 1 3/4" squash bent system now on the car. I'll PM you my address, I'd love to see some pictures. Or you could just post them here for all to see.

The price you were quoted is consistent for a mandrel bent exhaust. I paid $400 (not including the muffler) for my 3-in. mandrel bent exhaust. I was quoted over $600 from some places.

Considering the fact that an MSA premium system is around $200, shelling out another $200 for a custom fit exhaust is not unreasonable. However, it all depends on the individual. I ran the MSA exhaust on my car when I had the L24 because I did not want to spend $400 on an exhaust for the car. I **had** to spend the money on my recent build though.

Pops'z has a great suggestion regarding the crush bent exhaust. You could still go a little larger in diameter if you so chose to counter-act the effects (negligible though) of the crushed bends.

Everyone talks about mandrel bent exhausts as if they were the only way to go, but given the horsepower of a stock L24, crush bent systems are fine.

I have had a little bit of an education with the MSA 6-1 system. Once I got everything secure, I installed a Borla S-type round muffler. It was expensive, and when I started the car I thought it was a Civic. I hated the sound. Too high-pitched and loud.

I went back to the Dynomax muffler that came with the car and thought it sounded good, but better without the tip extension. Problem was an interior-buzzing drone between 3000-4000 rpm.

After looking for awhile, I got a 2.5 in Vibrant Performance resonator from www.verociousmotorsports.com The workmanship on this piece is amazing (like 10x better than the Borla), and it solved the drone. Of course this needed to be cut and welded in, so so much for the bolt-on stuff.

I am still looking for a tip extension that I like, and I will need to paint the muffler black because I can't stand looking at it.

I will post pictures, websites and recordings when I am happy with it.

I've been looking at these headers also, however, how would one make these work with a turbo set up? My 240z has the L28 engine in it, with N42 head with 2 SU carbs and stck exhaust manifold from a 240z. I will be upgrading to a P90 head, and I have a turbo intake already. Slowly getting my car to the way I want it.

Sorry about the quality of the photos. Camera phone, no flash. But this is the final exhaust. Described as above. Pilot Resonator tip, and I painted the couplings with high-heat silver so they would match the "aluminized" exhaust. Sounds close to stock at idle, but much louder above 2500 RPM. I will record it and post media file...

post-15523-14150802197939_thumb.jpg

post-15523-14150802198256_thumb.jpg

post-15523-14150802198472_thumb.jpg

post-15523-14150802198693_thumb.jpg

post-15523-14150802198909_thumb.jpg

post-15523-14150802199123_thumb.jpg