IGNORED

What would you pay for a dohc 4 valve head

JimmyZ

you know, just for the coolness factor i would love to see at least a crossflow head. the first time i looked at that giant empty spot on the right side of the engine bay i asked myself why the hell they did that.

unfortunately, i don't think you'll get any takers other than those that have the finances to spend on cool factor alone. while no one denies such a head correctly cast and worked would make buckets of power, the simple fact is as much or more power can be had for the cost of the head with something as relatively simple as a v8 swap.

i'd love it myself just for cool and 1 fast Z did an incredible job. fortunately for him, i think he will continue to breathe rather rare air in the uniqueness of his creation.

Ill add my two cents in. The KA head STOCK for STOCk against an L series flows as follows. The intakes flow 254 cfm when the P90, which is the highest flowing stock for stock flows 178 cfm stock at 28" of water. Thats a 43% increase over stock. My head flows about 276, so thats 55% increase over stock. Then theres port velocity, and the valve area/ram effect that is in consideration with a 4v over a 2v. Then there is the crossflow "purge" effect that you get with the 4v head. I do have to say with almost 1800 miles on my engine with no hickups, it works pretty well. I have ridden in lots of z cars, turbo etc. And for stock boost 7 PSI which is what Im at, it pulls extremly hard, and more then I thought it ever would. I am only running 20 deg of timing on 7psi of boost also, so Im real concervitive there as well. I would compare it againts a car with 16 PSI with a GT35R turbo. I ported the head for the guy as well as tuned the car for him, and my car pulls about as hard is his Ported by Me P90. The off boost torque is pretty good also, with all of that port velocity. So it is worth it, infact I am getting ready to make another head for my NA car soon too.

Congrats 1fastz on the achievement! Very nice! 1800 miles so far and still going.. That's great. Have you taken it to a dyno or run it hard through any 1/4 mile tracks yet? I'd be interested in the times/data.

As far as port design goes what would you do if you could make it from scratch? I have a relative who has worked in a head shop who could give input but I'd prefer to hear from someone who has focused on our motors.

Here's a couple pics of some head castings I've made. They are for an L-head air cooled motor and are a far cry from the 24 valve I-6 undertaking. The fins could be smaller but I was using permanent mold. I'll do lost foam on the I-6 of course.

post-12438-14150801417942_thumb.jpg

post-12438-14150801418702_thumb.jpg