IGNORED

280z #6 cylinder not firing

SmokeyRoach

And to that, I still dissagree......

If I fill a METAL gas can with gas, connect a ground wire from the spark plug to the can, submerge the end of the spark plug into the can and connect it to a 60,000 volt coil, IT WILL BLOW THE HELL UP!!!! PERIOD.

Fouled or not, it the spark is sufficient, the fuel or extra fuel will burn or ignite.

Not trying to be stubborn but facts are facts. Fill your whole house with fuel, if lightning strikes the house, it WILL blow up.

JM2CW but not worth fighting over.

Dave.

If I fill a METAL gas can with gas, connect a ground wire from the spark plug to the can, submerge the end of the spark plug into the can and connect it to a 60,000 volt coil, IT WILL BLOW THE HELL UP!!!! PERIOD.

Fouled or not, it the spark is sufficient, the fuel or extra fuel will burn or ignite.

Not trying to be stubborn but facts are facts. Fill your whole house with fuel, if lightning strikes the house, it WILL blow up.

JM2CW but not worth fighting over.

Dave.

Not if it doesnt have air it wont burn

Gents,

I will finally be able to get back to this over the weekend and give you guys an update on what I find.

Just a note, firing order is correct, all plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor etc are new and replaced in an attempt to solve this. Based on everyones comments here "which btw is great feedback" I will replace the injector and go from there. From what I have troubleshot on this so far it is the only thing left that I have not changed and makes sense if its stuck open. The good thing is that I have a spare fuel rail and injectors. I will change out #6 injector and update you on my findings. As for upgrading the Ignition/EFI system...I would love to one day and probably will, but there is no reason to do that now and drop $ before finding the root problem.

Thanks

Bill

Try it, I bet it wont.

I guess you've never heard of flooding an engine then. Thats when there is too much pertol in the engine for the engine to fire.

No it wont. I don't know where you are getting your facts from. Petrol vapour is explosive, petrol as a liquid, without the right amount of air will not ignite.

Some science homework for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooded_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_explosive_limit

Not a chance, Dave. Not enough oxygen=no boom. Believe it or not, liquid gasoline is not easy to combust. I've put cigarettes out in gasoline before. It is the VAPOR that ignites, and only in the presence of enough oxygen for the reaction to take place.

You most certainly can "drown" a cylinder with too much fuel and not have it fire. Spark a 100,000 volts if you want in a cyinder full of raw fuel--without enough O2 all you'll have is...spark.

FIXED!!!

Changed #6 injector and bamm! Runs like it should now. The injector WAS stuck open thus causing the cylinder to flood out thus killing the spark. This is the black and white fact and proof this can happen.

Changed it out for now with a GP Sorensen P/N 800-9208...AutoZone $44.

Looks like eventually I will upgrade all the injectors and fuel system since I am in the full restore mode.

However thanks for all the help and the healthy discussion!

I knew that because I'd been through it myself as I stated in post 7 and 10. You stated the paramaters, I gave a solution, based on actual experience. But, as usual, things like the combusibility of gasoline and the internal workings of the internal combustion engine had to be debated along the way.:)

...as usual, things like the combusibility of gasoline and the internal workings of the internal combustion engine had to be debated along the way.:)

It wouldn't be the same around here if we didn't have people getting 'enlightened' all the time (myself included).

I'm glad you got this fixed, I guess I never realized an injector could get stuck open enough to "flood" a cylinder... but I guess I do now.

I guess I never realized an injector could get stuck open enough to "flood" a cylinder...

Oh yeah. A leaking injector will dump gas into the cylinder as long as you have fuel pressure even with the car turned off.

Oh yeah. A leaking injector will dump gas into the cylinder as long as you have fuel pressure even with the car turned off.

Well, I have a hunch that all of the injectors in my car are leaking a bit, so that's why I wasn't sure.

I guess that would make the rail depressurize into the cylinders more uniformly though, instead of dumping it all into one.