IGNORED

What's wrong with the 280's?

Darbji280z

Darbji,

I have owned my 78 280Z for ten years. During the last decade I have encountered the popular preference of a 240 over a 280. I won't even get into the 260's. At any rate you have every reason to be proud of your 280 as much as any 240 owner would be proud of theirs. The 280Z is a great car and was the final evolution of another great car, the 240Z.

Be proud and never think for a moment you should've bought an earlier model. If you must own a 240, don't get rid of the 280!!!! I know you won't. I would never sell my 280Z.

To my knowledge there are is an icrease in horsepower for the 77 / 78 model years. It does say 170 hp under the hood. Anyway, 240 owners like our engines and tansmissions. hehehe LOL .....No disrespect to the 240. One day I wish to have one as well.

I've read a lot of post where people prefer the 240's. Is there something I don't know. Is the valve on the 280's different? I would say I hope I didn't buy the wrong one, but I really don't care either way. I'll never sell the car so I'm not worried about what I'd get out of it. What I am worried about is if there are any "problems" with them.

While the E31 had a slightly higher compression ratio - the E88 had improved breathing due to redesigned intake and exhaust runners. So the net effect was an all but equal offset in stock configurations.
Saying that all 240-Z's in the U.S have 151 or 150 is accurate to within six tenths of one percent - I don't thing anyone worries too much about 1 HP out of 150...
The E88's also corrected the tendency of the E31's to crack aound the exhaust valves.

This is all great info Carl. My comments were based on something I read a while back (don't remember where unfortunately) that the increase in stroke of the L6 brought the power back up to 139hp from 129hp I guess this was erroneous info?.....and the rest was speculation on my part just trying to put it all together in my head. Sorry guys if I added to the confusion. :disappoin

Many of us here are much older than you are, and remember when the 240Z - the original Z - was introduced.

Actually, the "240Z" was only one of the "original" Zs.

The term "240Z" also covers a multitude of different models, different specs and different markets.

Always worth remembering, I think.

I just noticed you changed your sig. Looks nice. (but, um, is that a porta-potty at the end of the drive, near the pole?)

Hmm, if it's not a pora-potty, maybe it's the TARDIS :classic:

Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now...

• 2 weeks later...

Carl

Just sizing my rig up - it's a 77 from Califoria - it has a sensor/dummy light "floor temp" which is obviously not to sense how warm your feet may be, I'm guessing it is monitoring heat from the exhaust system - would that be the same? If so, the eng comp. plate on mine shows 170hp. I took a picture of the dummy light and the plate - I will post when my batteries recharge.

BTW In the vein of conversation - I'm familiar with both the 71 and the 77, I still prefer the 71, it was pretty quick, but the 77 is a blast, fun to drive and has the capability of embarassing other drivers as well. Not too hard to look at either by the way (body parts a mostly interchangable)

Bottom line for me - there's nothing wrong with the 280 - it is the fraternal twin of the 240. I love the both the same - AAHHHH :)

The "oversize worthless bumpers" saved my 280's rear end. Although they are not as pleasing to the eye as the thinner bumpers of the 240, they get the job done.

What's wrong with the 280Z?

a) over size and worthless bumpersFWIW,

Carl B.

The "oversize worthless bumpers" saved my 280's rear end. Although they are not as pleasing to the eye as the thinner bumpers of the 240, they get the job done.

I have to agree ... my bumpers saved my car when my neighbor backed into my 280z ... Still, when I get the chance I am going to put on some 240z fiberglass bumpers in a year or two, but now I have garage so it's not as much of a problem.