IGNORED

What's wrong with the 280's?

Darbji280z

I've read a lot of post where people prefer the 240's. Is there something I don't know. Is the valve on the 280's different? I would say I hope I didn't buy the wrong one, but I really don't care either way. I'll never sell the car so I'm not worried about what I'd get out of it. What I am worried about is if there are any "problems" with them.

Nothing wrong with a good 280Z. Many of us here are much older than you are, and remember when the 240Z - the original Z - was introduced. So we tend to prefer the earlier, simpler and lighter 240Zs. That's all.

IF he was talking about stock 240 vs 280, that somebody was incorrect. Kick him in the shin.

The L24 had around 145HP, and the L28 had about 165.

The 240 is much lighter than the 280s, so maybe it might "feel" like it has more power...

edit OK, if you believe Wikipedia, (I do not) the L24 had 151 HP, and the L28 has 154HP. But those #s are sketchy at best, IMHO.

I just have to laugh about which one is better. When I bought mine neither the 260 nor 280 was being built yet. They all have their pluses and minuses. I own a 240 because I saw the first one while working in the renovation shop and had to have one. Bought this one from my mother and have had it ever since.

edit OK, if you believe Wikipedia, (I do not) the L24 had 151 HP, and the L28 has 154HP. But those #s are sketchy at best, IMHO.

Well, if you find an error on Wikipedia then you should certainly fix it. 151 is the value given in my factory service manual for '72. The L26 is listed at 165 in my Haynes manual and I'm sure the L28 was at least that high.

Well, someone told me 170 on the L28. But that's wasn't a very reliable source. Like I said in a different thread, it's faster than my DeLorean and the DeLorean has 175hp. But it also weighs a million pounds. So I'm not too sure how to compare the two.

I think that "Someone" may have been refering to the first Fuel injected 280Z's. The horsepower lacked until they (Nissan) cleaned up the system then they finally got the HP rating where they should be.

Welcome to the Best Damn Zcar club you'll ever click on. Information is abound and endless, it just takes time, sometimes.

Dave.

I am not going to get my panties in a bunch over 10 HP. Please also keep in mind that through the 70s, more and more regulations limiting emissions also choked power out of these motors. I have read that the early 260 made more power than the 280 because of this.