IGNORED

SU Return Springs - HELP!!!

lfesenfeld

I am in the process of putting 240 3-screw carbs on my 74 260. Put new gaskets in, made all adjustments, etc.

Put the carbs on the car but I do not know where to attach the return springs.

I have two springs that came with the carbs. They are about 8 7/8" long with about 2 1/8" of that being the spring. The rest is straight wire with a 1/4" hook on one end and 3/8" on the other.

Please help ASAP.

TY

Larry

Larry-

Confirmed, they hooked onto the heat shield over the exhaust manifold. Is your shield intact? If not you may need to acquire one if you're running the stock manifold OR tack-weld a couple of eyes on your aftermarket header, if that's what you have.

Fred

Tampa, FL

'74 260Z 2+2

I am in the process of putting 240 3-screw carbs on my 74 260. Put new gaskets in, made all adjustments, etc.

Put the carbs on the car but I do not know where to attach the return springs.

I have two springs that came with the carbs. They are about 8 7/8" long with about 2 1/8" of that being the spring. The rest is straight wire with a 1/4" hook on one end and 3/8" on the other.

Please help ASAP.

TY

Larry

I removed the flat tops off of my '73 240Z and installed dome tops. I also installed a heat shield from a '72 so that I would be able to connect the return springs. I found the heat shield on eBay. Good luck!

Thank you all very much for the reply. I put my 260 heat shield on as it was in like new condition whereas the one I got with the 240 carbs was poor. After posting my question I saw that the 240 shield does have 2 hooks on it. Unfortunately I already have the 260 shield and 240 carbs installed. I could pull off but it does not appear the 240 shield will fit as the inverted u-shaped slot for the pipe that the flexible pipe that goes to the air cleaner is further back which would make the shield hit the pipe. Does anyone know if this will be the case? I would hate to do the removal to no avail.

BEEZEE, your spring dimensions do not add up. Individual dimensions add up to 5 1/2" not 5". Please provide exact. What is the spring diameter? Did you use the 260 heat shield? If so what do you have the springs connected to?

Also while I am writing this, I will mention that I am looking for some butterscotch upholstery to do some patching. A mouse got into my car and chewed a whole in the driver's side rear wheel cover. I could also use some to patch a seat tear.

Much appreciation to all of you.

Larry

Yea, and simple math at that. I removed the spring for more accurate measurement,the spring coil length 2-1/8"+1-1/2"+1-3/8''=5'',this set up is on the car.Ihave a 260 spare engine and measures 4-3/4" hole to hole 4 bolt S.U,s and what I believe is the proper heat shield by the bent out tabs to hold the spring hook,but the springs are missing.The shield on the car is drilled so the springs are just fitted to tension the throttle.I haven,t touched the car since I,ve owned it just over a year,all work and mods by previous owners.The spring is close to .060'' wire dia. ,circumferance 7/16"

• 2 weeks later...

There's next to no clearance between the 72 heat shield and that heated air pickup pipe, so if you can see or measure a difference in the 260 heat shield it won't fit. I would expect a difference, I almost remember seeing a redesigned exhaust manifold on 260's (havent worked on one since the 70's), so would expect the air pickup pipe to bolt on in a different location.

Make sure the spring attachment on the heat shield (or whatever) is sturdy and secure. If the spring comes off with the engine running air flow and vibration will tend to OPEN the throttle. Been there, done that.