IGNORED

Need help with rear suspension

ddezso

You mention removing struts without disconnecting the transverse link. Is there a way for me to replace struts and springs without making this disconnection?

Hi ddezso:

Yes - as mentioned by others, you remove the 4 bolts/nuts that hold the driveshaft on the hub {see #7}, disconnect the E-Brake Cable and loosen the bolts on the inner side of the Transverse Link {one on the front at the Differential case mounting front member - see #9 and the one on the other end}

Disconnect the Brake Line!

Put a floor jack under the rear hub to hold it in place {the rear of the car should be on jack stands at this point} - - Then take the 3 nuts off the top strut mount - let the jack down, move it out of the way and push down on the rear transverse link - and you should be able to pull the strut down, lay it toward the outside of the car... out past the outside of the rear fender arch.

Then you can put a spring compressor on the spring - and change the shocks/springs etc.

Actually you can do the rears without a spring compressor - but since you need a spring compressor for the fronts anyway - might as well use it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-1415080019645_thumb.jpg

my father and I used to own a welding and machine shop in the Mississippi delta,where we worked with frozen bolts all of the time. heating the transverse housing will deffinitely work, but we always cooled everything down with water and then applied penetrating oil before trying to move anything. if there was too much heat applied, and the inner pin was heated also, it would just swell even more and make it tighter and possibly cause even more problems with metals gaulding. my 2cents for what its worth.