IGNORED

Z Experts - Arne, Marty, Carl - This one is for you....

ktm

Do any of you know the type of rubber/material used for the hardline supports on the 240zs? The reason I ask is because I am investigating the possibility of having these parts reproduced.

My wife works for an import/export company that specializes in rubber, plastic and metal parts. She has an extensive contact list of manufacturing facilities in China that she deals with on a daily basis.

I have already done the hard part - sourcing. I just need to run down the material type.

I am looking at having them produced from an oil-resistant rubber. If any of you know the material type, that would be great.

My wife and I have talked and she is optimistic that we could turn a small profit on these parts. Nothing to quit my job over, but enough to fund a few nice parts for the car. :)

Cheers,

Bo

Hi Bo:

Boy - you have me on that one. I have no idea of the specific type or composition of the material used... When new they would have been described as a synthetic rubber of some type - like that used in tire treads.. it was pretty firm stuff....

If I were going to market them - first I would sell them in compete sets ONLY and include every one used in the car... second I'd do the sets for the 510's and Pick-up's.... (most likely many of the same parts..). But they would have to look identical to the originals...

Personally, I'd rather go to China and reproduce the 73-78 GMC Motor Homes - only with a modern drive train...

Good luck with the project... I'd be a buyer...

Carl B.

Good idea Bo!

I too have been wrestling with these rubber parts and have managed thus far to find enough to make do off my parts cars, but it could definately be done better.

The rubber blocks with the split line that runs thru the holes are pretty straight forward. The one on the center of the firewall that curves slightly is the toughest, but shouldn't be a big deal to do from new molds.

The ones that have me buffaloed are those for the brake and fuel hardlines that were installed on the line apparently BEFORE the fittings were installed and/or the ends were flared. These (like all the others) have raised outer edges that help to locate and secure the rubber piece to the metal clips, but unlike the others have no "split" so that they can be removed. They will slide horizontally along the line, and that is how I have gotten the line refinished around them. Unfortunately many of these have broken edges from becoming brittle over the years. New crisp edges on these would be really nice!!

Soooo--If you do these, please consider making the ones I am talking about in a "split" style so they could be installed on an original line with the metal clip holding it securely.

I'm really glad to see someone taking the initiative with good connections to do this, as it is another aspect that many if not all of us are having trouble resolving as we resto/refresh our Z'z.

Please DO keep us all updated as to your progress. I know that I am in for a set if you can "git 'er dun". :classic:

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

I have my original parts that I am going to send *gulp* to China as a template. Some of my parts are in very good condition, others are a bit brittle and firm due to age.

I planned on selling them as kits for the 240z first and see how that goes. I would then move on to the 280z, 510 and pickups. The hard part for these vehicles would be the samples. In order for me to get a good reproduction, I would need an actual sample set.

I'll keep everyone posted. Given the niche market and relatively low production numbers, these parts would not be pennies cheap. I can see them selling for the equivalent for what the NOS hatch, firewall and floor plugs sell for. An entire kit would be a bit more. It is all contingent on the production cost for each piece though.

Edit: Jim, I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the brake line supports. I too ran into that problem. Trust me, the new ones would be split.

Thank you for your replies.

Hey, Just a thought

I don't know who can do this (most likely a College University close to you) but you might wanna get a Chemical Anallysis Composite from a lab or something.

You know, like they do on the CSI T.V. show to determine the Chemical make up of stuff.

From that they can tell you exactly what kind of rubber it is. We used to do things similiar to that in highschool chem class but although nothing that elaborate considering the teacher already knew what the answer is :ermm:

~Z~

Actually I'm pretty sure you can find a place or company on the Net or in the phone book where you can send off one of your pieces and have that done. Their are companies that do specialize in that kind of stuff I believe cause a Guy I know who shops at my job works at UC Davis and does anylisis on soil samples for farming.

Next time I see him I'll get his phone number and cantact info if you would like to talk to him. Since he works their at UC Davis I'm pretty sure he can do it for free or at least very cheap compared to what it might cost anyway.

~Z~

IMO, There shouldn't be a need for any technical assay of the rubber, and there should be no reason why you couldn't use plain old urethane rubber, like the stuff that used to suspension bushings. You can get RTV urethane liquid in gallons, and just pour it into molds that you make yourself from plastic or thin plywood the size of the originals, and insert doweling for the tubes while it's curing. It's like making rubber doll parts.

Just a thought for information on composition that would be resistant to oil. Try and contact a work shoe company . They may tell you what the shoe soles are made of for there oil resistant shoes. Just a thought . Tomo you must be kidding RTV ?

IMO, There shouldn't be a need for any technical assay of the rubber, and there should be no reason why you couldn't use plain old urethane rubber, like the stuff that used to suspension bushings. You can get RTV urethane liquid in gallons, and just pour it into molds that you make yourself from plastic or thin plywood the size of the originals, and insert doweling for the tubes while it's curing. It's like making rubber doll parts.

Good thought Hawk :beard: