IGNORED

1972 vs 1973 240z specifications

zeddit

I am looking for specification details on the changes in the 1973 240z vs the 1972 model year.

Reason ...

I am looking for a 240z for vintage racing and to qualify the car must be produced on or before December 31, 1972. I would like to include 1973 model years in my search but to get a post-1972 production car to qualify, I need to demonstrate that the 1973 240z retains the same visual appearance and mechanical components as a 1972 model.

At this point the only difference I am aware of is the SU carbs changed in 1973.

Any other differences?

The other thing to note is that 1973 model 240Zs started production in 8/72. So there are many '73s that would still meet the cutoff date.

And that may be the argument you need. Because a '73 built in 4/73 is the same as one built in 10/72, for example. If the latter is eligible, the former should be also as they are essentially the same config.

The console should be the same as '72. How could I forget the carbs and things. Only took me 9 hours to get it all swapped out!

The cars weight was up for '73. Not sure how much, but mostly due to the things ZIII brought up. Plus the bumpers and bumper filler. Spacing of the overriders changed let alone the overriders themselves.

For the 73 Model Year

Production of the 73 Model Year 240-Z for the US and Canada started in 08 of 72.

- Carb.'s changed (as mentioned)

- different E-88 Head Used For Federal Emissions Std.'s in 73.

- Dash layout changed, with backlight heater/vent controls,

- new hazzard switch design.

- Headlight buckets changed from fiberglass to steel.

- Flame retardent materials were required for interior use.

- Intermitten windshield wipers added as standard equipment.

- Two and a half mile per hour bumpers added.

- The rods were the same - but larger connecting rod bolts were used. 8mm vs 9mm This actually started at the 2/3's of the way through the 72 Model Year Starting at Engine Serial Number: L24-096181 That would be in US/Canada 240-Z's with a build date starting in 04 of 72.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Direct from the:

Service Bulletin

Vol.171

Introduction of Datsun 240Z

Model S30 Series

(1973 Models)

note: these are other changes not mentioned in prior posts. Just listing some other changes, not my opinion of their relevance.

1. A type "A" fan belt with greater strenght has been fitted to the engine.

2. The following parts have been modified;

- crankshaft pully

- fan pully

- alternator, new 60A unit fitted to vehicles shipped to Canada.

(optional for US cars.)

3. Balance tube is changed for attachment of E.G.R

4. Exhaust manifold is larger.

5. New 2 piece heat shield.

6. Larger 65AH battery available for Vehicle destined for Canada.

7. New larger capacity Master-Vac

8. New self-adjusting clutch slave cylinder.

9. Re-designed rear engine mount.

10. New rear window defroster, with increased rating of 150w avail. for

Canada.

11. Timing mark changed to facilitate adjustment.

12. All side marker lamps are of a salt-resistant design. Revised terminals and

each bulb is covered with a protective covering.

I have a '73 with a build date of 10/72. You should remember that the wiring harness also changed. The '73 had bigger connectors. It also had the lighter in the dash, not in the console...I think. It is a bastard year, when trying to find used parts. You must be specific about the build date when ordering parts.

With all these differences between 72 and 73, what would it take to make a 73 engine compartment look like a 72.

My 73 has been stripped of smog equipment and fitted with roundtops, but it looks it too, capped off fittings and the like.

I want a clean under hood that looks right, even if it isn't exactly like a 72 (ie choke cable routing).

Al

(Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, if need be we can move this to a new thread)

The other thing to note is that 1973 model 240Zs started production in 8/72. So there are many '73s that would still meet the cutoff date.

Arne, are you certain of the 8/72 date, as my '72 has a production date of 8/72, while my '73 has a 10/72 date? My '73 vin seems to be an early '73 one, and based on this I thought that the switch occured at the end of 09/72?

Arne, are you certain of the 8/72 date, as my '72 has a production date of 8/72, while my '73 has a 10/72 date? My '73 vin seems to be an early '73 one, and based on this I thought that the switch occured at the end of 09/72?
No. I was shooting from the hip. I know that some 8/71 are '72s, and thought that 8/72 would be '73s. your car seems to refute that.

On the other hand, the parts CD confuses the issue even more. It shows a lot of what we consider to be '73 parts as in use from 7/72, with the '72 parts only going through 6/72. So that certainly doesn't help clarify the issue.

When in doubt, I'd go by the cars themselves. Your cars seem to indicate the split was in either late August or September. So that seems more logical and definitive than the parts fiche.