IGNORED

Z-Focused shop in Midwest?

derk

I need some hands-on help restoring my 71 Z... Am located in Southern Indiana but willing to get the car a reasonable distance for a reasonable shop, someone who will keep it indoors and do some mechanical and/or body work. Any recommendations?

Reasonable prices are welcome too!

J

Actually I use the word "shop" loosely... also a gifted hobbyist with garage space is welcome.

Hey, Sothern Indian.

I live in Richmond, Indiana and wish I could help you out but no time and no extra garage space. I can help you with hard earned experience. I have owned my 72 since new and my 70 since 76. Email me if you like at

jerrypurcell@verizon.net

If money is no object, Ultimate Z up by Chicago can do a total restoration but it can be expensive. I live on the north side of Indy and am going to get a name of someone (you know, a friend of a friend) that has a body shop to work on my z. I hope to get it when my friend gets back from vacation. I will let you know what transpires. Carl

Thanks, I called Ultimate Z... pricing was not outrageous given they could not see the car but timing... give them the car, get it back next Spring... wasn't do-able.

I think you will find the good shops will be this way for a time frame . I know of a good shop in Idaho if you want the information. He seems to have a waiting list though . But it is worth a check if this would work for you distance wise . Hiring the work done is a spendy endeavor especially if it is done right. Most any one can slap bondo. But a good job takes talent and skill . Gary

To do the kind of work you need done please allow me to recommend what I think is exactly what you are looking for. The issue is transportation because the shop is in Arizona. The shipping of the car is a one time deal and I think they will do the best job for you and they are very accessible and very nice people.

The Business is called Z Car Source. They do it all and have all the parts you need or access to them. www.zcarsource.com. The owner is Jeff Gordon. Go tothe the web site and consider giving him a call. He's a great guy.

McKrack

Derk,

can you be more speific as what your wanting done? Are you looking to do a complete resto or just some minor work? Is the car running but needs to be tuned up. How much body work? I would be interested but I don't want to offer my help if i would be over my head as far as time.

Derk,

The body shop that I took my '73 to in Houston took just about 1 year. That time was spent by me removing everything from the car...to make it a rolling chassis, and allowed me the time to find parts that needed to be replaced. They also allowed me the space to work on her for that period of time. My time was not that well spent, because I still need some suspension and steering work done to her. The extra time was used to bring the price of the body work down. They only worked on her when they did not have any insurance jobs...their bread and butter. Jose, the body man, even came in on the weekends to help me put her back together. Good luck.