IGNORED

race prepped 240z-collecting dust...

zbane

This little sweetheart has had an interesting life, as far as I can tell.

The first incarnation as race car involved the addition of a baby hemi, full cage, and custom bodywork. Oddly enough, the car has its original drum brakes...

The hood was custom crafted, and the tail was cut and spliced from a different make, though I don't know what.

This car was a trophy winner (don't remember where-can find out easily enough, I've seen the trophy and the show photos-very nice)

The builder sold the car to someone who insisted on removal of the roll cage, hemi, custom aluminum dash, and fuel cell. The hood and tail will be coming off, at some time. Apparently, the new owner wants a more streetable, original z, and feels it best to un-raceprep this z...:stupid:

I've told the builder to contact me about the hood and tailsection whenever they come off.

The L28 from 200207 has found its way into the 240, as has the dash.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/zbane/240z_Racer/

The builder, Gary, doesn't usually work on Datsuns; rather MG's mini's, and Triumphs get the treatment.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s118/zbane/british_oddities/

post-11908-14150799970968_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799971223_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799971453_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799971683_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799971919_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799972156_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799972305_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799972532_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799972764_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150799972912_thumb.jpg

The stock brakes are fine for racing (go over to the Hybridz FAQ thread on brakes) but I wonder what type this car did. I'm guessing 1/4m with the auto tranny and stock suspension set-up. The weight of the car would be nice to know given all the rear end body mods. Unusual is right.

I remember that car was for sale in the old Zcar magazine for quite a while back in the mid 90's. Interesting they removed the Hemi.

The stock brakes are fine for racing (go over to the Hybridz FAQ thread on brakes) but I wonder what type this car did. I'm guessing 1/4m with the auto tranny and stock suspension set-up. The weight of the car would be nice to know given all the rear end body mods. Unusual is right.

The FAQ at HybridZ specifically states: The stock Z brakes are adequate for street driving, autox, and drag racing, which I agree with, but when road racing, that's debatable.

This was the next post in that thread -

"Great post. I especially agree with your first paragraph. Stock high quality components with the right linings and fluid is adaquate for most all applications. I used stock based components for years for hard core autocross and open track events. I've found the only negative is they require regular "attention" to keep them fresh. It's those fat sticky tires that make you stop, and I mean eyes popping out kind of stop.

I now run the Arizona Wilwood kit on a GT prepared race car. They are almost overkill for a 140 mph track car. They last a long time. The stock setup could still get the job done, but I would need to freshen after 2-3 sessions and be generous with air ducting."

One of the FTD cars at NHIS has been a 240 w/stock brakes. The driver not the brakes set the time.

I remember that car was for sale in the old Zcar magazine for quite a while back in the mid 90's. Interesting they removed the Hemi...

Given how much those Hemi's are worth these days, it doesn't suprise me at all, especially if it's an older Hemi block.

• 3 years later...