IGNORED

Understanding Car Show rules

hls30.com

We have many ZCCA judges frequent this site and I'm one of them. I have judged the last three ZCCA national conventions and I have been the lead organizing judge at the last two Z-Fests. At the last national convention (Dallas), I was made a chief judge and was one of the three judges for the medalion round. Every now and then, I’ll do a local hot rod show or club event. Mark Lambert was the chief ZCCA judge for the stock classes. Todd Wagner (Tidewater Z) is the chief ZCCA judge for all the modified classes and the last I heard was that Fred Buoni is to take over the stock class from retiring Lambert. These are all East Coast guys. The ZCCA judging software was developed by Paul Hollander within the very strong presence of the Tidewater Z Car Club which has many active directors involved with the ZCCA, like Dan Banks, ZCCA historian. A little further North, are Paul Gasparola and John Jefferey (Bad Dog Parts) and Jeff Fox. These guys pretty much make up the backbone of ZCCA judging. There was strong judging talent in Texas and California, but I have always worked at the national conventions with Todd, Paul, Fred and Mark.

The judges at any of these events are guys just like us who will spend the day looking at only a few cars and running around filling out forms rather than enjoying the show. They are called volunteers. Jim Peters is going to do the Daytona convention car show in October. I may or may not judge.

I heard back from Mr. Gasparola, evidently the one on the site is the current one.

However, in going back to through the site, both the 2002 revision and the 2005 revision are available on the site-depending on the link used to fing the rules.

Here is the link for the November 2005 revision:

http://www.zcca.org/downloads/JudgingRules_rev2005.pdf

I have been using the 2002 revision, so I will print out and study the 2005 revision and see if my questions remain.

Will

One very important thing I noticed about the rules deals with equipment required by the DOT or BMW for certain drivers to drive legally. This equipment MUST be in or on the car and you can lose your license if you are caught without it!

Most things you can't take out of the car after you park the car at a show, because it's permanently built in to the car, but a very few things might come off if you have enough time & tools.

Judges will just tell you it's not stock ( if you're in that class), and you get hit for being a legal driver??

The bottom line is that since there are the A.D.A. laws in this country to guarantee people fair treatment in the workplace and in pulic areas, but then there are the ZCCA judging rules basically tell you that you can't have a Z in a ZCCA show because you aren't physically or visually as good as others?

These judging rules need to catch up with the times.

Stock is the hardest class to judge because that is the only class where “correct” is a relative term. I would say that in all the rest of the classes the relative term for judging is cleanliness. My rule of thumb for deducting points is this: brand new = 0 points, used looking = 5 points, junk = 9 points. Look at the judging forms and notice how things are grouped. Points are deducted by the whole group of items – not each individual blemish. Cars are judged by a team of three guys; one doing the engine, one the body, and one the interior. The team always talks and all the cars in the class are compared with one another in an attempt to be consistent. Judges usually don’t look underneath a car. Anything you can see by only dropping down to one knee.

This is an interesting discussion here. I downloaded and read the rules and found that my Z wouldn't qualify for the daily driver category. It only has 56,000 miles on the clock, but was in fact always used in the fashion of a daily driver and continues to be. I drive it whenever I get the chance and always will. Still, I doubt I will ever attend a ZCCA event with the car coming to Belgium, but I thought this was a little weird.

For me I don't think I will ever enter the car into a show to be judged. I judge it by how much enjoyment i get out of it, which happens to be about 292 out of 300. I deducted 8 points for the occasional pain in the arse thing it decides to do (like have the locks stop working when the temp goes below freezing). ROFL

Tomohawk, I'm more than a bit confused as to what you mean when you stated (and I'm paraphrasing) "your car will not be allowed in because a judge(s) says so". ZCCA judges don't decide who's car is in or out of a show.

Can you restate your concern. Thanks

What I was saying is that for those people who have this "non- stock" equipment, which is requred BY LAW (current/modern laws), then you get penalized for it because Nissan wasn't thinking 30-40 years ahead to predict these new laws, and build the stuff into the car (back in 1970, or whever.) That means you either have to drive around "illegally" or you can't be in a class and get 300 points, even if you had a 300- point car! You might as well not go...

On a different note (since we've touch on cleanliness,) maybe some people who have much experience with getting their S30 C-L-E-A-N clean, can share some of their tips, or maybe a 'checklist?' these cars have too many place that dirt can get into, and can be fun to clean.

Personally, I clean the dust out with my 2-80 technique. :P

New topic?

thx

Can you provide some specific examples of a part or piece of equipment that are now required on your Z to make it legal to drive that wasn't there when it was new?

As to detailing a car there are hundreds of articles on the subject matter and several books as well. It's important to note that the items listed on the judges sheet are the ones you need to pay the most if not all your attention to in the detailing process.

But as I've said to many a owner at a car show, "the winning trophy costs about $8., here's $10. stop whining and go buy your own".

Unless you're going for a gold medal (trophy cost more than $10., is big, your wife won't let you bring it in the house and no matter what, you will have spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars getting your Z in shape regardless of class in comparsion to the price of the trophy itself).

Unless car show and detailing are your thing, stop worrying about rules, etc. clean your car as best your time and budget allows, then bring it for everyone to see. It's not whether you win or not, it's the story behind your Z and you that make the whole thing worthwhile.

My 280Z now has power steering, and a right-handed turn signal switch. Looking at the restrictions that are on the back of your driver's license, you could also be required to have:

--- Left outside & inside mirrors (i.e. side & rearview mirrow which new cars have, stock)

-- Automatic trans (new cars have this, stock)

-- cruise control (some new cars have this, stock)

-- air conditioning ?? ( EVERY! newer car has this!)

I kind of use an old judging sheet when I clean the car starting about a week before a show, but

By cleaning tips, I think it would help to learn how to clean or prepare some of those special areas on the S30, like the back light panel, 280Z bumper ends, or inside the wheel wells. Not just the usual vacuum & paint stuff, that you see on any car website.

thx