IGNORED

Should Zs be in a museum or on the road?

hls30.com

I say drivers. When I bought my latest Z 13 years ago, I had no idea what a BPE 280Z was. I was just happy that I got a good deal on a great Z. These cars are a blast to drive and I am going to drive mine as much as possible.

For the most part, I'll say they should be driven. That's what they were made for, not for being trailered to shows and such. My red 240Z is a relatively exceptional car, but it's not perfect, it has flaws, and I don't think I'm going to go to any great extremes to make it perfect. Because I WILL be driving it -- to gatherings, to work, on weekends, etc. Which means that even if I were to make it perfect, it wouldn't stay that way. Eventually it will get a new rock chip, or something similar.

But I will concede that other people won't share my viewpoint. That's OK too. They made enough of them that we can have both kinds.

I agree with Arnie's statement: They made enough of them that we can have both kinds.

There are still enough high-end cars, and the corresponding collector interest, to preserve the breed so to speak. Then, there are lots of other cars that will never be of concours quality, but will make wonderful drivers for years to come.

My car was a daily driver for the first 17 years, then a weekly or twice a week kind of car for the 17+ years since then. I now put about 2,000 miles a year on it. The car has been pretty much refreshed and is ready (hopefully) for another 20 years of driving. By then, I will be about 75 years old and will probably not have enough upper body strength to handle the steering while parking. At that point, I'll pull out the quick-steering knuckles and put the stockers back in, install a larger diameter steering wheel, and drive it for another 10 years or more... (again, hopefully!). All of this, of course, assumes that gasoline will be available that far in the future ...

So, my vote, for my car, is driver ... not museum piece.

Should the S30s and S130s be museum pieces or drivers?

What are your thoughts and why?

Depends on two things. Can I be the curator and do I get a company car? :laugh:

Edit - Sorry for that, but that brought back my dream of working at the Lazyboy Research & Development Center.

There will be some that end up in museums. Exceptional survivers and concourse restorations. Most others will be driven or used up to keep others roadworthy hopefully for a long time to come.

My personal vehicles would both have to be drivers although one of them only gets taken out in fine weather.

However, should the time ever come when I have enough spare cash, I would be very tempted to purchase and preserve / conserve a rare or significant Zed in excellent condition eg. a rally or race Zed with a history.

Personally I will have two, one to show(an early low vin) and one to go(the '72 I am preparing for Daytona).

But both will be seen at the curb in front of the house and at special events, and weekly car shows.

If the cars are reserved only for shows, most of America will forget about them-the sad truth is relative to the entire population, not that many people go to car shows. To keep the awareness up, and the interest building, the cars have to be seen.

Will

• 4 weeks later...

Both, Will.

I think we and the next generation or two or even three are fortunate to have the oportunity to enjoy the Zed, one of the ten most important marques in the history of motoring.

However, given another 50 or so years down the track, regardless of how much TLC we lavishly squander on our Zeds, I venture to suggest that they'll be as scarce as hen's teeth. By having a few preserved in museums, our descendants will be able to gawk and wonder at our driving expertise and bravery in driving such death traps before flying back home in their pre-programmed, robotically controlled, accident proof, electrically powered, maintenance free 760Z Sports Coup Skimmer. LOL

Rick.

:devious: :devious: